1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Leesey, Mar 26, 2020.

1. So I bought this 916 earlier this month after being knocked off my bmw r1200gs in January with the proceeds of the insurance payout. As it’s going to be a fair weather toy the plan is to restore it to original and enjoy it on high days and holidays.
    She has been called Dafney by the kids (as all bikes automobiles should be named)

she is in ‘ok’ condition with some work needed to the paintwork and the left side engine casing has some bubbling from where (I believe it is called) the slave cylinder? Has leaked in the past.

The paintwork has had an initial fettling but there is much more to come (I detail cars in my spare time as a hobby)

I am trying to put the pillion pegs back on but one of the bolts is stuck s9lid (the others came out after a bit of persuasion) so any advice is great fully appreciated.

anyway here are some pictures.

also what exhaust is this? I know it’s a Termignoni.

thanks
    Jon

AE2ADA7D-2B84-4A7C-8EF8-B1920331FD8B.jpeg

4F2883D0-D8D4-4D96-A4AE-733D951034E6.jpeg

F6B25DED-E529-4508-8D80-A6623CA78F43.jpeg

F030FAFA-4938-45DB-A74E-2357ECE9B4FF.jpeg

48970879-DC92-456D-ABA5-93D402785B12.jpeg

3245D619-A417-4A18-A1DD-3D60AA23C584.jpeg

16C0994B-70C4-44E4-99DE-3C5D5BD9C678.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Welcome Dafney. :) :upyeah:

3. Exhaust looks like 50mm as against the 45mm standard.

4. exhaust has the straight through link pipe too, nice :upyeah:

screen and number board have to go though.o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. That's in good condition IMO for it's age:upyeah:

Is it an optical illusion or is the crankcase breather pipe non-standard - appears to be capped off with something:thinkingface:

6. The number board has gone (the pictures haven’t come out in order). She is currently stood in garage with no clothes on!

here is a picture after the number board was removed

any tips on removing the one roque bolt as it is stuck tight I have tried copious amounts of gt86.

2B9C0B89-A2AC-405C-9A55-F3AEF0521071.jpeg

E6FC96EF-CD78-4FAF-99A9-4F330ED662D0.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mole grips after heat.

8. First off.....Apply heat, don't use an allen key on it, the head looks way past salvaging. You could use mole grips but if they end up chewing the head to pieces, you will end up with less to purchase on. Another option I have seen before, is to take a nut that's slightly bigger than the head of the bolt, across it's flats and tack weld that onto the bolt head, adding the weld within the centre of the nut obviously, then use a socket and wrench to remove the offending bolt. If you cant get access to a welder, you could grind two flats onto the sides of the bolt head and use a good quality spanner to get the bolt started. Lastly, if all else fails you could cut the head off and drill the bolt out, but that should really be your last resort

9. I use one of these to apply localised heat, never failed for me
    BCEEFBE8-F2B2-441A-A86B-245537E7C822.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. For a detailer, you have an unkempt patio...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. I am not a detailer I do it in my spare time and do due to being at work all the time at the moment and having 4 kids to sort on my own as the wife is really ill. The only reason the bike has been touched is that it is my release from a stressful job and family life at present. But I will make sure I sort it out ASAP.

#11 Leesey, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 3
  12. Chill. It was a joke from FE.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. My response was also in a lighthearted manner with a hint of sarcasm but it’s not easy to tell when it’s typed.
    :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. :upyeah::upyeah: Thought it might have been after I posted. Just tip my hat to you mate, you have your hands full and some people are justifiably stressed at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lovely bike, great job with the detailing.
    Re the stuck bolt....it looks like you have unscrewed it so far and then it seized up?

16. Yeh got the other three out with difficulty this one has come so far out and stopped it was difficult to move before hand but is impossible now will have to buy a small blow torch and try again.

17. Wind it back in and out a few more times,don't place a blow torch on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Agree. There will be corroded threads on the inside. Screw it back in, try to clean them up a bit and get some lube on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Will try this next time I’m in the garage and report back

20. I'm not, you take that back ! :punch: :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information