1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Spraying Petrol From Tank

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Lazza, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hi Guys
    Hoping to tap the knowledge base!

my 916 was idling and I opened the petrol cap and was greeted with a shower of petrol! Looking in I could see a ‘jet’ of petrol spraying across just below the filler neck which then caused it splash out. Is this normal?
    Think tank was half full. Is it a sign of a blockage? Never noticed it before.
    Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated! Answers on a postcard to Havenoluck House . . .

thanks in advance

2. the fuel pipe in the tank is split mate, if you ride it it will cough and splutter down the road as the fuel recuirulates in the tank rather go to the injectors.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have a spare set of these which you are welcome to Lazza. My 998 has a rather smashing carbon fibre vented tank which doesn't use them. I"m also slightly taller than you, a better dancer and have an extensive knowledge of fine wines but that's just the way of the world so humbly accept a token of my gentle benevolence if you will and I'll have one of my footmen run them round to you.
    Failing that, any old bit of fuel hose will do!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Are you sure Cookie? Could it not be the return fuel from the injector loop?

5. How hard is it to replace the line? Just drain the tank, remove the filler cap (and surround), then reach down in to the tank and get to work?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks Cookster - effing tank was relined inside, pump checked, tank painted all reassembled and it splits first time I ride the C@$t!

7. You must have lent the bike to your mate Murphy..

8. Hahaha thanks Joe - needed that! Yes I would love to prevail of your kindly condescending offer!! Most appreciated!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. PM me your address and Jenkins will be around in the old two seater before you can say knife!

• Like Like x 1
  10. May be you could take the tank off, drain it, remove the fuel pump assembly and check things on the bench. If it was just worked on, it may well be that a fuel line was not put back tight enough and popped under pressure when you first used the bike.

It may seem obvious, but you need immersible fuel lines in there. Not just random fuel lines.

Edit: if you go that route, you may need a new fuel plate o-ring (the large green one). They tend to expand and the used one won’t go back in easily.

#10 Guillaume69, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Now you tell me!!

3A77B16D-500B-4CC3-BC38-A2DDE4B214A7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. No splits I can see!

would this little nozzle be the culprit of the jet?

13. image.jpg

14. Nope, I don’t think it is. Here are pics of my systems:

F86B365E-433A-4DC1-9647-75810E4830EE.jpeg

8A0C4723-4F2C-448E-8A82-86AF9197C2EC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. you could almost have put money on it being as @cookster said, a pressurised fuel hose either split or disconnected but I think it might be "the other one" which I can't remember in detail - @bettes (Ian) will though I think. It's more to do with a valve/component misbehaving from vague memory. :upyeah:
    re-use of green Viton seal is a controversial one, if in doubt use new of course, but if not nicked, overly stretched or saturated in anything with silicone or other chemicals causing it to expand, then I would use again. Sometimes it's even down to temperature, and if left a while they can "calm down" and return to correct size.

#16 Chris, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Soz Chris, my memory gets worse by the day it seems... :)
    Either one of the two hoses or the air separator nozzle thing. But that just shoots petrol out at 90° to the pump housing. If it’s really as bad as the OP says, I reckon it has to be a split line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ah, that's maybe it - i've never seen the air separator thing "squirt"? - so not that then? yes, can remember the fault with the hoses as affects italian cars also going back to around 1982.

18. It could be if the OP meant it was shooting petrol inside the tank and not upwards...

19. did the bike ride ok mate??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information