1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Sps Restoration

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Peter Whitmore, May 6, 2022.

1. Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and new to Ducati. I have recently restored a couple of Honda Blackbirds from the 90's and my friend, who had a Troy Bayliss 916 SPS sitting in his garage asked me if I wanted to do the same with his bike.
    He hadn't ridden it at all in the last few years and it had sat gathering dust as he restored his listed building around it. I have started doing some work, mainly stripping the fairings off and cleaning the dust out of everything. It had been heavily modified in the brake department by its previous owner with OEM levers, calipers and rotors being replaced by AP stuff in the main.
    We have sourced some new fairings as the front nose cone was cracked and a couple of mirrors as it didn't have any on it. I must say it is a complicated 'beastie to work on' but you can see how beautifully designed it is and how painstakingly it was put together.
    There are no major issues with the bike and after charging the battery, checking the fluids etc. it started right away. Main problem is that the speedo and the tachometer have cracked 'glass/plastic' lenses and my friend wants this bike to be mint when I am finished. If anyone can point me in the direction of a used set of gauges or even a way to fix the original plastic front lense of both the speedo and the tacho I would very much appreciate it. I will add some pictures once I figure out how:)

20220506_093755.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome to the forum Peter.:)

3. Top yoke isn’t standard but I feel sure you know that.

4. Restauration manual:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maccy D’s?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Welcome and enjoy

7. Yes I know that, as it a great deal more of the bike, more's the pity

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome.
    Make sure you list all the non standard stuff for sale here when you have found standard replacements. I am sure some good AP brake trinkets will cause a clamour of interest, and they can all sit behind me in the queue ;)
    Jon

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Welcome and have fun

10. Exciting times ahead! Loved doing mine, watch out for people online buying from the dealer and charging 4 times the price for certain items.

11. I make replacement bezels in aluminium and lenses in polycarbonate. If you want the OEM look you can paint or anodize the bezels black. IMG_20220317_114850_697.jpg IMG_20220317_114912_902.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. This is a set of mine that the customer painted black.
    FB_IMG_1653513950424.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. Or something different perhaps. IMG_20220125_124543_150.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hello, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but the project went on hold for a bit so I have not looked on here recently. I would be very much like to purchase two if I can. Can you let me know how I do that please. My mobile is 07710571463 0r email [email protected]. Many thanks

15. Hello, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but the project went on hold for a bit so I have not looked on here recently. I would be very much like to purchase two if I can. Can you let me know how I do that please. My mobile is 07710571463 0r email [email protected]. Many thanks

16. Well it's all done now, Bezels included. Great job on those Adrian. Now to get it serviced and sold as my friend doesn't want to ride it ever again.

20220711_152222.jpg

20220711_152240.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. I spoke to early:-( The indicators are not working, well two aren't. Bulbs are a pig to get out so looking for replacement indicators if anyone knows of any a bit like these in the photo. 20220712_123421.jpg 20220712_123426.jpg 20220712_123426.jpg

18. Get a pair priced up from Craig at Moto Rápido. Honestly (and without insults) those old ones look naff.
    They used to be cheaper from the dealer then advertised on eBay. GL.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information