1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Wheels, Discs And Speedo Questions.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Haydn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. 1. I've bought a pair of 5 spoke rims today for my 97 916 but i have a few questions.

On the rear the tapered spacer now protrudes from the wheel by approx 5mm. The castlellated nut still aligns with the holes in the axle so i presume all is well. The standard 3 spoke is counterbored slightly so the spacer sits flush. Can anyone confirm if I can use the 916 spacer with the 5 spoke rear?

A few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I want to replace the bearings but how do I remove the speedo drive without damaging it?

3. And lastly, Is it best to remove the powder coat from the disc mounting surfaces? The PC is very thin in that area.

Cheers
    Haydn

2. Remover the powder coat, and and give the coaters a bit of advice to not do it again (if you know them). The bearing spacer will push across around 4-5mm to allow access to the rear of the bearing. The spacer can be a pain to move if the bearing are pushed in hard against the spacer. Not usre on your rear wheel, looks ok though.

3. Thanks Cranker, I bought the wheels like this tbh. The bearings feel ok but make a slight gritty noise. I just can't seem to work out how the speedo washer with the two lugs on is removed?

Cheers
    Haydn

4. If i remember correctly (not used a speedo drive for a few years now) it is just sat behind the seal. Pop seal out, drive washer pops out too.

5. Ahh, ok looks like the powder coaters coated the seal too, it looks and sounds like part of the rim but could well be the seal covered in pc. I presume that seal comes with bearings?

6. the seal is just an oil seal, the bearing sits behind it with its own seal - as in a as seal bearing seal,

7. cheers cranker, ill clean it up if not use the one out my other wheel. Cheers

8. The rear wheel spacer is fine, I also have around 4-5mm protruding with my Marchesini 10-spoke wheel but, as you say it will sit flush in the original s-spoke.

Speedo drive just pulls out, IIRC there is a seal which sits on top and so needs to be removed to get the drive out.

9. Cheers Tim,

I removed the seal and cleaned all the powder coat off and its fine. I presume you pack it all with grease when rebuilding back up?

Can I use 916 discs and all the wheel spacers with these wheels?

#9 Haydn, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  10. Yes
    Yes, just a straight swap.

11. This might be a bit late but if not it may help. As I remember there is a wire type seal that holds in the front speedo ring. I have replaced one of these once and it's an easy enough job.

Capture66.JPG Capture77.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information