1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916sps Termignoni Carbon Exhaust Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Rowan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Hi Gang,

My Ducati mechanic is in the process of restoring my 1998 916SPS back to a workable condition, and I also bought a few mods for it. I bought a slip-on online from a nice fella and the facebook ad stated that they suit the 50mm 996R & 998S models. My 916SPS also had a 50mm exhaust, so I bought it.

I got this pic today from my mechanic that they do not fit my 916SPS. I thought the 50mm exhaust slip-ons were all the same? My mechanic reckons it might have a manufacturing issue or be warped?

I am calling on the combined brainstrust of you all.

1) Did the 916SPS have a compatible exhaust with other bikes in the line up with a 50mm like the 996R & 998S?

2) If not, what exhaust should I be looking for?

Thanks, everyone.

Rowan

View attachment 172966

#1 Rowan, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. 1.) Your mechanic is an idiot.
    2.) Find another mechanic.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. He's actually a great mechanic. But thanks for the advice.

4. Looks like it's beyond scrap, if you send it to me I will do you a favour and not charge you for the disposal ;)
    Welcome to the forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. In which case he will be able to fit a pair of slip ons to your bike, thus proving his worth!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The answer to your question is that all pipes for the 748/916/996 range are the same shape albeit different diameters. I very much doubt it would warp or that it’s a manufacturing issue.

It looks like he may not have fully seated one or more of the male sections inside their respective female sections. Once fully seated and springs reattached they should sit side by side enough that they can be pulled together and secured with the single bolt that goes through the end hoops. I also find it useful to not attach the exhaust to the frame until it’s all been reconnected to itself. Also, make sure the exhaust hangers have all their top hat spacers and have been reassembled the correct way.

welcome to the Forum as well :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ^^^^ What he said, I am just being a bit facetious today. Normal service will be resumed shortly! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Put a pic up of where it seats in the link pipe. Looks like one isn't in properly.

Or they have been crashed and ones bent.

9. Thanks, guys. I'll give it crack myself one weekend. I guess they are just a pain to install. I appreciate all the quick replies. No worries, Joe ;) All good.

10. Shouldn't be a pain mate there so easy to fit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The bike is in the shop, cookster. I can't supply any more pics apart from what I've got, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Mounting Brackets on the vertical twin link section are prone to cracking, I have had to have 2 welded in the past, so it might be an idea to slacken the bolts off on that section in case they are not perfectly aligned, fit the tail cans into their correct position, then see if the brackets on the link section need sorting out.
    Welcome, Good choice of bike too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Great alignment;) welcome aboard & full pictures please when it's home.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi & welcome. You will easily sort this when you get the bike home. Good advice re mid section brackets. I had to have the upper one on my bike welded last month.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Any decent mechanic should easily be able to fit these.
    And yes, I too have a broken upper bracket on the mid-pipe...

16. F8C48A1F-DEEA-4919-BCC7-A5DA490F4625.jpeg A494C722-C4DD-4476-9ECB-89329459CDD7.jpeg Here’s mine welded up. TIG weld as stainless.

17. That’s as it left the factory as far as I know.

18. Looks like not seated correctly. Mine sit at different height without the hanger and should have enough play to line up level. I remember one side being a bugger to get the bolt through, kept it pushed up on my shoulder whilst locating the bolt, then connected them together last.

• Like Like x 2
  19. You also need to check that the strap that goes around the muffler body is on the right way. Mine were skewed until I worked out that the strap needs to be oriented correctly to attach easily to the rear sub frame

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information