1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 Sp Vs New 950

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Steven Ginesi, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Would you take a 939 SP over the new standard 950? And why? Let’s not count out the 821 SP. Is dilemma time for me, trying to weigh up the pros and cons.
    Ps: money is not unlimited!!

2. I felt the same way, I was so used to the way the 939 sp looked that when I first saw 950, I was disappointed.
    Now, after doing research on the improvement and such , I began to reconsider the new look.

I was going to get the 939 in January , But after doing research and looking at videos of the 950, it started to grow on me, now I am hooked.

The 950 fifty style looks pretty badass once you get used to it, especially the back end. The new improvements are pretty nice as well.

The one thing that really bothered me was the gas tank size is now 3.8 gallons instead of 4.2.. I will be commuting 120 miles round trip, so I hope it will do the trip without having to fill up between .

When considering the purchase and for only a little more money , why not go for the newer upgrades.
    Just waiting for it to come out here in the states in February or so. Looking foreward to seeing more info and videos of new owners when it first comes out.

#2 jose, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. I’d always go for the SP, I believe the standard suspension on the new 950 is more adjustable than the older 939 but Öhlins on either take it to another level in terms of handling and adjustability. So a 939sp over a standard 950 for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. To be able to adjust the suspension on the fly on the digital screen on the 950 is an awesome thing to have. Instead of getting off the bike and adjusting things.
    The way the 950 option has it, one can adjust by just selecting soft, med, hard on different riding modes and try out immediately, without the fuss of trying to dial everything in the old way..

5. Does it have electronic suspension?? I did not see any mention in the UK tech literature...

However it does say the SP has Marzocchi forks too...

6. I also think the suspension is essentially the same on the new bike, so the suspension on the 939SP should be higher spec the the new 950 standard bike.
    So, which would you have?

7. I am not 100% sure. The descriptions say that it will have the same display and functions as the multistrada which has electronic suspension.

8. Only the S model - the base Multi does not have electric suspension

9. Is that where you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension on the screen ?

10. Yes - base model is fully manual suspension

S model you can change front and rear damping and rear preload from the screen/controls

11. Gotta say, just this alone is a big improvement . Can't wait to see new owners with reviews on this bad boy.

12. I don’t think it will have electronic suspension

13. I think we are getting our conversation crossed.
    The multi strada does have it in the S model, the hypermotard does not on any model.
    So my question still stands?

14. I think you are correct on that, too bad the hypermotard will not have that option..

15. I'd always go SP, even with the new 950 upgrades. If budget cannot stretch to a 950 SP, get a 939 SP in the meantime until the 950's have some used stock around in SP trim. All the upgrades alone are worth it above the standard (but new) bike.

16. I really don't see this as the sort of bike where you would really need electronic suspension. It's a big supermoto so set it to corner well and go have a blast. Only time I adjusted suspension on the multi was in exceedingly wet conditions (as it was quite nice to have a soft, bouncy and forgiving ride) or with a pillion and luggage. On all my big supermoto bikes, they've gone straight on sport settings and never been touched.

17. Aye, I'm getting my suspension set up for me from the factory settings (and learning how to do it in the process!) and then cracking on. It's a big supermoto, it's a one minded thing.

18. The Marzocchi fork on the new 950 is more adjustable than the previous fork on the 939, Steven’s correct it does not have electronic suspension. The Ohlins suspension on the new 950sp looks to be identical to the suspension on my 939sp but there may be subtle differences internally I guess.

19. Forks and shock are the same on 939/950SP

The difference between an SP and standard model is night and day. The suspension and forged wheels turn a gray bike into an awesome one. I had a 175rwhp Superdukes R SE before my 939SP and I can ride the roads I ride much quicker than on the Superduke. Tyres and Suspension win unless you are drag racing or on big circuit track days

20. I can understand adjustable suspension on the screen when riding a Multistrada as the bike is built to take on different roads /terrain. But the 950 and 939 are pretty much focused on the road. So i would set mine once and leave it alone.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information