1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

944cc Big Bore Bit - Bhp?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Paul H, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Just bought a 1994 900ss with a big bore kit fitted. The seller gave me the following information:

'944cc Big Bore Kit including upgraded cylinder studs. Keihin Flat Slide 41mm carbs, K&N air filter, all fitted and expertly set up by ‘Ducati GR road and track’

I'm having some trouble getting it insured. One of the things they are asking is the bhp with the kit fitted and who fitted the kit. I've done some research and find info suggesting 90bhp.

I can't find any info on Ducati GR (or GT?) road and track to go back and ask them.

Is it a standrad increase in bhp with a big bore kit?
    Has anyone heard of 'Ducati GR (or GT?) road and track'?

Thanks

2. never heard of them but yes you're in the region of high 80's to 90's Hp.

I'd give 90 as a safe option to the insurance company. I had high comp pistons, head and flat slides, and mine used to throw out around 87, and that's with a proper rolling road setup. :)

3. GR Ducati used to be Graeme Richie(rip) in Wimbledon many years ago.
    Alec at Ducati ProTeam took over until he started on his own in Stroud Kent.

4. If you have any hassle with your insurance company give Carole Nash a bell, They are very good when it comes to mods including a rise in cc's

5. I'm sorry but does it need to be exact? Are they going to check it?!?!? I had to do a full report for my mods and just estimated Bhp at the time

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. And Footman James, try the companies that usually deal with this type of stuff on older bikes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Never got the chance to meet him but Graeme Ritchie did good work, was a talented rider and, by all accounts, a top bloke. Died in '97 whilst competing at the british round of WSB. Most GR Ducati paperwork I have, from late 80's to mid 90's, states 'Ducati Service for Road and Track' - which ties in with your info. His widow, Claire, ran the company for a while and they did some work on my Superlight at the time (Veetwo hi comps & cams). I later acquired another 900 with a similar spec as yours - FCR41's and 944 kit - but also spaghetti exhaust system, V2 cams etc. Unsure about headwork or cam grind but receipts list Carillo rods and 12:1(!) Cosworth pistons. Pretty spendy, all done at Chris Clarkes, in the mid 90's. Not sure if those pistons were still in it when I got the bike about 10 years ago - but it did have twin coolers so heat had obviously been an issue. Dyno run done by CC show a big fat torque curve and 87bhp at the rear wheel, so maybe low to mid 90's at the crank? I reckon Sev's bang on with 90bhp as a max. for your bike.

8. This is my Dyno printout, I have 41mm flatslides, 904 hi comps, Ignitech, full Sil system, lightened flywheel. This is at the back wheel so consider about a 10 percent drop in the drivetrain. I havent called my insurance company to tell them exactly what the horsepower is sincw I got this done. I am with Bikesure
    20180519_184504.jpg

9. Anyone know what power and torque a standard bike would typically give on a similar dyno?

10. No but I'd be interested to see.

11. But be aware that Footman James Classic or Vintage bla blah policies do not accrue no claims bonus. They say their policies are cheaper so they don't qualify - which in turn means you stay with them... And never get a NCB. Scammers!
    I talked my way into a policy with Bikesure who reluctantly did grant the NCB from a Footman J policy as I could prove I had not claimed.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  12. True, my main policy is currently with Ducati Insurance as they were by far the cheapest for the 1098R's and R1 - but my little 350cc 30 odd BHP Yam on a day time MOT was as much on that policy as a 1098R as they do not know what they are dealing with when old and non standard, the separate policy worked for me in this instance.

13. Thanks for all your comments. Insurance now sorted. I wanted to add the 900ss as a second bike on to my FT scrambler policy. They asked for the bhp info etc. . In the meantime I tried bennets who wouldn't offer insurance n then Carol nash who initially quoted me ......wait for it....drum roll please....£2226 !!! Not wanting me to walk away it then came down to £578 and then to £446 if I had my debit card in hand and ready to pay in full. I was tempted considering the initial quite of £2226 but don't like the hard sell so said no thanks. I went back to my existing insurance company and sent a copy of the invoice to fit the big bore kit in 1995 but no confirmed bhp figure. They insured me for £187....RESULT!!!

...but what sort of outfit is Carol Nash now. I used the many years ago without such antics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ducati originally quoted max. bhp at 73. Don't know if that was meant to be at the crank or - even more optimistically - at the rear wheel. Lots of interesting info here: http://bikeboy.org/performance.html#2v

#14 Vulpine2, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2018
  15. They used to be pretty good but after the takeover by Ardonagh Group they seem to have gone downhill. I had to go elsewhere to get my new Multistrada 1260 S insured. I used BeMoto who were great and fixed me up with multi-bike policy for my three bikes.

16. Allegedly, according to someone on FB it was at the rear wheel

17. Ducati changed to the crank sometime in 2004 to bring them in line with the competition, that's why everyone thinks their later 999's are much more powerful that the early ones :eyes:
    Not sure if they had always measured at the wheel before that i.e. in the early days...

18. Crank dyno set up was probably more expensive!

19. This is the only stuff I've seen of a stock dyno printout. Also gives a printout and numbers for a few mods.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

20. Bikemad, great article!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information