1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 959 Engine Failure

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Towser, Aug 12, 2020.

1. So was out on track today and on the 4th lap of first session accelerating in 4th gear there was a bang then nothing! I pulled over as quick as was possible but left a rather long trail of oil and coolant down the track. I’ve not had a chance to look at it yet and I’ll get it to the dealers when I can but something major has gone bang . It’s only 18 months old with around 1900 miles on it so still in warranty. Has anyone else had a major failure of this sort and how were Ducati to deal with?

2. There have been a few of these failures, if you have had serviced properly and its in warranty they will sort it without any major issue.

3. That’s good to hear . It’s been serviced properly and is in warranty.

4. Should be fine, who is your dealer?

5. Have the 959 bikes got weak rods as Well??

6. Not sure but i suspect thats whats gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. For anyone that’s interested. After much back and forth between Ducati Glasgow and Ducati UK ,they have agreed to replace the engine. As they don’t make the 959 anymore it’ll be 6-8 weeks to get the engine.

• Like Like x 11
  8. Good result :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Did you find out the cause?

10. Unfortunately not. It was definitely con rod related but I don’t think they have actually stripped the engine. Ducati UK were asking lots of oil related questions so wonder if they think it’s been oil starved.

11. Not that it helps really

The 899/959/v2 front grid race bikes get rebuilt every couple of rounds (seriously). They’re very high maintenance when ridden hard sadly.

rods have always been a weak point which is why the race bikes run Carrillo’s

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Great news they are sorting it all out:upyeah: I was under the impression that these motors were really durable? Rod failures on a modern late bikeo_O

13. Yeah I’m quite surprised and hope it was just a one off . Having looked on line there aren’t loads of reports of them going bang that I could find.I’ve used Daytona 675’s on track for years without any issue at all. It does make me slightly cautious about using it again on track.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Very happy to read that as I've just bought one for that very purpose :D If you have any nice Daytona (2010) trinkets hanging around PM me with a list and price please.

15. Enjoy! Sadly I haven’t got any bits left as any that I had that fitted have been put on the 765 Moto 2!

16. I got one of them too. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. I may have some stuff still laying around in a box, not sure if I gave everything away when I flogged the motor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ohhh. Have a root around please Paul. :upyeah:

19. This thread gives me palpitations! :worried:

Great news that ducati are sorting it under warranty.

Worrying prospect for me running a 959 track bike out of warranty!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Swap you for a slightly used Daytona plus one bag Of Wotsits?

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information