1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 - How Much Do You Pay For Insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Stef, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this has been asked for ages, but how much are you paying for your insurance in London?
    I live in a brand new block of flats, with gated underground car park, I'm 32, 9 years of licence (0 NCB because I was riding when I was living in Italy 5 years ago, and can't take the years over), no accidents, no claims etc.
    Fitted a biketrac, plus the usual chains and locks. I am even struggling to get a quote, and MCE today gave me a quote of 9500.......

What are your experiences, please?
    Sorry for asking a very old question, but I'd be gutted if I had to give up on my dream bike because of an insurance...

Thanks

2. Have you tried Ducati insurance?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. not yet to be honest... I have been reading they are not that cheap, that's why I didn't even try... I must be honest, I'm ready to spend 2k on insurance, for the first year (which is silly, I know). Have you tried them? And if so, where are you based?
    Thanks!!!

4. I'm just north of London between Watford and Aylesbury. They were very competitive for me on a multi policy.

5. That's quite reassuring. And what's your situation if I may ask? As in, garage, driveway, NCBs...?

Thanks for your time!!

6. Garage (wooden, but not a shed) full NCB.

To be honest, with the amount of bikes currently being nicked on London I expect it will be high. But Ducati insurance were surprisingly good.

@chizel lives in that there London.

7. I wasn't expecting to be cheap, unfortunately. But if paying 2k would allow me to ride my dream bike, I might as well go for it...

8. @AirCon is London too.

9. Please guys, cheer me up after a day of googling insurance companies ha :)

10. First problem is london. This is the insurance equivalent of the Gaza Strip. Getting any insurance on a sport bike in London is going to be painful.

0 no claims doesn't help.

For some reason also the 959 seems to be more expensive to insure than the 1299 oddly.

11. You are not the first person I hear saying that! Why the heck is that, do you think?

12. Not really sure, I did hear that it's because there's more 1199/1299's on the road. I also heard it's because the 959 is newer. But also the 1299 has more rider aids which may be a factor..

When I moved from an 899 to a 1299 my insurance went down. Sadly I doubt this'll be the case in London though.

13. Oh god, really? Have I just got the most expensive bike to insure????

14. Did you get quotes prior to purchase ?

I know that apartments even with 'secure' underground parking are considered high risk for bike insurance as well. There's a lot stacking against you mate.

The biggest factor being that you're in London

15. I did, and I must confess I cocked up. On moneysupermarket I got a quote from Bikesure, and I didn't realise that by mistake I had put down garage instead of what it actually is (would you agree that it's a locked compound?). I paid, and they rang me today, saying that the policy is cancelled. I did the quote thing again (with the right options, this time), and I got the same quote (if I did locked building, which I doubt my secure car park can classify as, I could also do fire and theft, otherwise third party only). I'm just worried that they might refuse to insure me because I cocked up the first time...

16. Thread moved and title changed.

Ps - there are dozens of threads in this section with member recommendations.

17. I guess technically it's an underground garage. But it can be taken as a number of things really

I feel for you

18. If you had to choose between garage (which I have been told needs to be a "4 walls structure" as such), locked compound and locked building, which one would be the closest?

19. Sorry El Toro, I know this question has been asked so many times, I just couldn't find any recent thread about the 959 in London. And I got a bit depressed when I saw that anywhere else in the country it would be 1/10th of the price...
    Sorry about that

20. Errr tough one because technically your underground has four walls I'd imagine ?

It's not a locked building though

Do Not Sell My Personal Information