1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 - What Tyres.. Any Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Simon Gray, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Morning all.. time for new tyres.. I'm on my second set of Rosso Corsa's.. about to order a new set as in fairness they have been good all round.. it would seem Rosso Corsa 2's would be the best bet but just wondered peoples thoughts. I run Supercorsa's on track but not keen on these in the wet so much so mixed feelings about running on my main bike.

2. I was glad to ditch the Rosso Corsas in favour of my all time best tyres I've run for fast road and track time... Supercorsa SP all the way! it will transform the way the bike feels. The SC are more track focused but the SP is a great fast road tyre. All the grip and confidence you should ever need. Downside is depending how you ride they won't last as long as others! But the trade off is well worth it in my opinion. The version 3's are out now and apparently have a little bit more durability without sacrificing feel and grip.

3. Great reply cheers Dave, hmm perhaps SC SP's it is then. They are fantastic on track and hadnt really considered them for my road bike, how are they in damp or wet... I mostly ride dry only but sometimes I get caught out.. was impressed with SP on track in the damp but then the track was very grippy anyway.

4. I went for a complete change from the Rosso Corsa and went for Michelin Power RS. Nice deep cuts in the tread for the rain if you get caught out.
    Also they have a nice good feeling for road and track use.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Metzeler, M7RR. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks all most helpful, I will check out all those brands.. it wont be going on track as I have a track bike fully kitted up with SC .. So just a decent fast road tyre.. The Michelin Powers seem well liked too ! I'll probably end up with the SP's.

7. I vote for the SC SP's. To look at they look way scarey for wet roads but in practice I'm amazed at how good they are in the wet. They heat up really quickly too, even on cold days.

8. Very happy with the rosso corsas 2’s and don’t like SC for the road I could never get heat in the front tyre,

Rich

9. Michelin Power Cup Evo's for me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. For me personally I don’t worry too much about the rain, I ride to the conditions, I much prefer the road bike to be shod with tyres that are more biased towards dry riding. With that being said the 1299 came with Pirelli Rosso 3 tyres and they seem a great allround tyre.

My usual tyre of choice is the Bridgestone RS10, I had them on the S1000RR and I was amazed with them, both on the road and track, they weren’t an issue on the road but would break loose if I was a bit too aggressive on the throttle, TC working nicely, that was with the QAT fitted though.

I think once I’ve went through the Rosso 3’s and depending on my overall experience with them I’ll probably end up with the RS10’s or the newer 11’s.......

I think nowadays we’re spoilt for choice, I know it’s very subjective but I’m finding more recently that many different tyres seem to do the trick whereas years ago you’d also end up trying a set of tyres that were quite frankly shocking!

11. Michelin power rs are better than the Pirelli’s SC SP and Diablo Rosso cords in the road IMO

• Like Like x 1
  12. I vote for Supercorsa SP's all the way. For the 959, they will last as long as DRC's and much stickier on the dry with more lean angle and confidence.

#12 DarR, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  13. I tend to go for the sports touring tyres these days. I’m not quick enough on track to override them and they last up to 10k on the front and around 6k on the back. Metzler roadtec 01 and Z8s are the best I’ve tried. Absolutely superb tyre. Instant warm up and will handle me in the inters on track plus superb in the wet. They tip in a touch slower than say the SPs of course but once they’re on you stop comparing them and just ride them as they are. I commute most days, weekend scratch and monthly track day for info. All the best.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information