1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 900ss Ie Fork Seals

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alistair Mc Grory, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hi... I bought this bike last year with 800 miles on from new. Fork seals failed at 3k miles. Never changed USD forks so booked it into a local shop. They changed them and 800 miles later they have failed again. Is this a common problem? Any advice welcome!

2. Not common. Try a seal saver or a bit of film negative.

3. Thanks... i’ll Look seal savers up.

4. Other thing to check might be fork bushes - if these are worn the seals will leak in no time. However I 'd not expect them to be bad at such low mileage but worth a check. I also try to use genuine fork seals - only cos its pain to have to strip them again !!

5. I don’t have great confidence in the shop that did the work...unlikely to have been original seals. Thanks for replying.

6. No problem - the seals on my Truimph went within a few months after being replaced - local shop in Blackpool were excellent in replacing them FOC (I bought the new bushes and seals which was only fair) - bike has 25,000 miles on it. Liberty Motorcycles - recommended !!

7. Hi... thanks, bit far for me, I’m on the south coast.

8. Make sure good quality seals are used as the cheap Chinese ones like on eBay last no time before they fail.

9. Hmm... the shop may have used cheap ones... I had to return it after collecting as it was leaking by the end f the road.

10. Usually it is the left one that leaks first. The OEM Marzocchi forks on a mate's bike used to leak with proper standard size seals for no obvious reason, but fitting some slightly oversize seals worked - oversize on OD not ID - IIRC the oversize was approx 0.20mm extra radius.

12. It is indeed the left that fails first... thanks for the suggestion, where would I source oversized seals?

Thanks again... it’s costly replacing them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information