1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 First Ride

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gary6r, Oct 4, 2020.

1. So i collected the 996 yesterday, the weather was bloody awful so i collected it in my trailer, put it to bed in its nice cosy garage, along with my other non ducati bikes (vfr 800 & 2 636 track bikes)

Up this morning and checked the weather forecast, sun coming out this afternoon, roads drying, couldn't wait!!!! Got a track day booked on Tuesday, so passed the morning by changing oil & filters on both track bikes, quick check over and before i new it it was 2 o'clock.

Wheeled the 996 out of the garage, got changed into the leathers and fired it up.
    OMG she sounds amazing, the wait for it to warm up seemed to take ages..........and off we went!

A brisk little 80 mile jaunt and what can i say except......OMFG...........what everyone tells you is correct. Absolute pig in town and traffic, but get it out on the road and i can't describe the fun.
    Silky smooth, turns so quick, light and so nimble. And she goes well......all the way up to 70mph obviously!

Not ridden a twin for about 14 years when i had an SP2 (wish id kept that one), love the power delivery and torque, great fun on the twisty country roads........

Couple of points to note, my back is killing my, my wrist aches like mad (numerous reconstruction surgeries to thank for that) and whats the point of the mirrors, except to look at my elbows! Need to be a bit more positive when changing up from 1st to 2nd, got a few false neutrals, guess I've got to use to the VFR gearbox.

Looking forward to the next sunny day....................

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. They are an awesome bike and i have a 996 and a 900ie and they both hate traffic and being stuck behind Frank and Muriel doing 20 mph going out to get cat food but on the open road well what can you say, there is always something special while riding a Ducati, if you could bottle it you would be loaded. Your wrist and back will get used to it but obviously this time of year isn't the greatest idea, roll on summer!! :upyeah:

#2 WAYNE, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pics dude !!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Wrist will always be a problem, had to put risers on my VFR to ease it. doesn't bother me too much on track days, guess im moving around a lot more on the bike on the track
    back will survive, and the painkillers always help :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adrenaline is the best pain killer of all:upyeah::laughing:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to the Latin lover and the only language they understand is full throttle,enjoy.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Align the mirrors to look past your hips, when you need to use the lift your elbow and voila you have a view behind you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. True, but it doesn't last long once you stop riding!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chuffed for you. Beware, they are addictive. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nice one, but never, ever, use OMG on this forum again.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. You missed the OMFG.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information