1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 On Gumtree

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by RC1, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Could be an s Bip. Nitrade forks aren't right for the base model. Weren't they E, S and R by then?

2. it has the right exhaust (50mm) but the rear shock is from a Base model 996 with the sticker removed.
    I have a 996s mono, and in good form they can deliver 130 ps at the back wheel with simple tuning.
    might be a bargain if you can get it for reasonable money and source a rear shock on the Bay

3. being a 2001 i believe so but rear shock sticks out

4. i was thinking the same but with no history and a service due it would need to be cheep cheep

5. What should it have, Showa or ohlins rear?

Trouble with bikes of this age, lots of parts/upgrades have been made and can be like triggers broom

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. heres an 02 996s that looks standard save for the carbon and oberon

http://www.fastline.co.uk/used-ducati-996-preston-lancashire-1307389

no S on the monoposto, carbon chainguard/hugger, nitride coated front showa, ohlins rear

according to falloon the 2001my was last year of production and they all had ohlins rear but knowing how things work in factory at the time...

7. If it is a T reg bike surely it must be a MY99 but the frame wheel colours would indicate an SPS from that MY. Looking at it I thought it was a base MY00 996 bip with some odd bits added. This one looks like either the seller does not know what it is or it has a story to tell, for example it has standard cans on a 50mm system, pretty sure it should have 45mm system, never seen that done that way round. Also for such a low mileage bike it is in pretty average condition. Frame and engine number check required I feel
    BTW the chain guard and hugger is a DP one

8. The 748E didn't have adjustable headstock, don't know if the base 996 did. This has an adjustable headstock. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an S yet has a showa shock

9. Its a private plate i think. Vendor not that responsive. I reckon its a late model but still not convinced its an s

10. Bradders, IIRC only the 748E from MY00-02 lost the adjustable headstock, all other 916/996/998 and 748s retained it. Problem with a late model, it cannot be registered two years before it was released. T reg plate fitted was "registered in 1999" hence the vin/engine number validation required statement. I suppose a private plate would explain it, still need to see its reg history however

11. Searching memory banks...marzocci (e) Showa (s) ohlins (sps/R) seems to ring a bell

12. Bang on re the e headstock. The bike in question was first registered in june 2001

13. Cheap shock was a Sachs, middle range/standard fitting was a Showa GD052 and Ohlins were top of the range fitment for the 9xx/748 bikes from around 2000/1 and standard on MY01 996s

14. I have a base BP MY2001 with ohlins rear shock.

15. Old picture, stickers now removed! IMAG1049-20170121-21152394.jpg

16. CR does yours have a 50mm system on it?

17. Likely aftermarket fit. One of the first mods anyone did when they could get one was an ohlins rear

18. Ohlins rear is standard on the 996s, but not a Ohlins Steering damper or forks, as they are standard Showa Nitride coated,
    Exhaust is 50mm including the manifolds and not just the link pipe ( same as the 996sps) twin injector throttle bodies ( the source of poor running at low RPm due to P6 rather than the Twin pick up P8 Sps ECU.
    I had a 2000 996Bp and also a 2001 748E and the 996bp also had the adjustable headstock the 748E didn't, and you can check this simply by looking at the mounting point for the steering damper as it only has one fixation point on the frame and not 2 like all other models.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information