1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 "sps 2" ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Anje, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Hi,

I've just bumped into this: http://anthonygodin.co.uk/car/ducati-996-sps-2/

I was not aware of this SPS "2" version; it's described as a "German market" model, and looks to be a slightly "detuned" version of the "standard" SPS at least for a few parts (frontguard, airbox, side pipe cover, 280km/h speedo,... what else?)

Were you aware of this model?
    Btw, any feedback on this shop? I browsed his inventory, some cool stuff :)

Thanks

2. He had some nice cars there the last time I dropped by. He also had at least three Brough Superiors.

3. He has this and it looks very nice....

996RS

But in the description........"At the time of sale it was understood that the bike was ridden by Troy Corser in the 1999 season. Inspection has revealed that although the frame has been replaced and the engine rebuilt with later cases the bike retains many of the factory race components including the left hand thumb operated rear brake lever that was one of Corser’s trade mark modifications."

So ridden by Troy Corser, except for the frame and engine. :laughing: So actually, the brake lever has been ridden by Troy Corser. :no_mouth:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. There are some some pretty tenuous assumptions made in that description piece. Pinch of salt or just total cock and bull. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yep that RS looks real nice but...
    I'm not in that market anyway :D

6. It also has a frame number but I thought RS frames had no numbers as they weren’t mass production and only bought direct from the factory?

7. did they not bring this out to bridge the gold frame sps of 99 and the 2000 model with ohlins forks? i remember back when i bought my MJ2000 996 bip that there was one of these on show in the shop, as memory is lagging nowadays i can remember one of the SPS models 99-99 1/2 having a lot darker 5 spoke wheels, almost dark anthracite as standard..
    it was a strange time for the 996 series as also the 996 SPSF was also made (Uk foggy rep?)

8. Nathan, do you mean darker like this one for instance? :
    [​IMG]

'99 SPS 5 spoke wheels were darker to me also like the one above, the lighter grey color found on that "SPS 2" looks like the one on the 2000 version or 996R for instance, along with the grey frame; so yes could be an "intermediate" version between the regular '99 & '00 models?

• Like Like x 1
  9. As is typical of almost every race bike ever bought under the same ‘banner’. Very rarely are they the bike that was ridden, given that bikes are rebuilt over and over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks Anje, i knew i wasnt going mad....

11. Trigger's broom springs to mind. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. You're welcome, I'm no expert still learning!

Btw, it looks to me the SPS in those years were made to match the race bikes overall "style" from the previous year, weren't they?
    Like, 98 race bike -> golden frame, black wheels... = 99 SPS
    99 race bike -> grey frame, lighter grey wheels... = 00 SPS?

I have to say the '98 Fogarty bike was one of my preferred graphic style of him (and any SBK 916):

[​IMG]

..may be just after the '95!

[​IMG]

I think it went too "busy" with stickers after that..

13. I guess it didn't sold in that '17 auction?

14. And that front fork is a fg43 so not ridden by corser.
    And i know there ares some parts that are marked”Xaus”as well.

Henk!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hope the Xaus parts are not body panels, most of them will have lots of gravel rash along the side....hahaaaaaa!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Can you please clarify what means "Xaus"? :)

17. Ruben xaus the rider

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ah ok thanks for the clarification

Do Not Sell My Personal Information