1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996r Accident Damaged.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by JoeC, Sep 1, 2017.

1. So, literally half an hour ago I've been offered this privately by a dealer in the east of France for what basically amounts to a couple of thousand euros. It's a known bike (no.121) with history but obviously in need of a bit of TLC. I'm tempted as a winter project but cautious due to the inevitable cost and difficulty of sourcing parts and the fact that its never going to be anything other than a rebuilt/reframed track bike. What d'ya'll think? 996R2_LI.jpg 996R_LI.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. To be honest, I think it's a bit too far gone for the money.

Although broken up for spares the engine would obviously fetch a big lump of the 2K Euros back.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the process of the build as much or more than the riding, like I have to admit to, then view it as a hobby and get stuck in, it will still be cheaper than joining the Golf club.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 2
  3. "Uneconomical repair" springs to mind. :( I wouldn't put £2k into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just to put it out there that that's not me in the photo!

5. Buy it and then decide - bargain for the parts alone!

6. Look at the frame...completely buckled! Forks and yokes probably knackered too. Maybe even engine mounts, so engine could be compromised too.
    You'd have to see it really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah maybe not, shame to see it broken up though but I know that if I buy it I won't be able to resist throwing money at it straight away and that's money I have bigger plans for this year!

8. Yes I know, but I'll immediately start throwing money at it. I'll think it over (over) the weekend!

9. It'll be fiiiiiiine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. That would make a fantastic basis for a golden era superbike! Want !

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. If you don't want it, I would buy it.

12. It's slightly freakish he's got a wheelie-bin in shot...:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'll post the guy's details if I decide not to go for it!

14. What is it with you guys and wheelie bins? They don't even exist over here, god knows where that one came from?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. It's an omen! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Well it started a longtime ago when someone claimed on another forum to own a specific vehicle. When asked to take a new photo with a daily spreadsheet he didn't respond so people upped the ante & it eventually morphed into a can of custard powder, paper, wheelie bin. It's just a bit of fun'

If I am quoting the story wrong, please correct me guys&gals.

17. I agree, I've changed my mind. Buy, buy, buy!!!!!!!

18. He's just replied to me to say there is a new frame with it and loads of other bits that aren't in the photos available by negotiation, plus I have quite a few spare bits lying around from my 998. It's about 5hrs from me so I'll see if I can find the time to go and see it next week and whether or not curiosity kills the cat!

19. Scrap don't bother!

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information