1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Base Gaskets

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mary hinge horse burger, Jan 5, 2020.

1. I’ve got the engine out, started by wanting to replace head gaskets, which I’ve read up on a lot and I’m happy with what I’m doing. It looks like I’ve got oil weeping from the base gasket of the vertical pot so it’s daft not to do it while the lump is on the bench. Plan is to leave the pistons in the barrels by removing the gudgeon pins and fitting new circlips on reassembly so that I can get at the base gaskets. So far so good. Strip down has been easy, I’ve got most parts ready for the job. Are base gaskets for this available in different thickness and if so is it a case of measuring this when it’s removed to match up a new one? Are there any o rings on the studs? Has this motor (2002 testa) got the much talked about useless oil gallery and o ring. I guess I’ll find this out anyway but I helps to be able to order bits beforehand if anyone has done this. Three bond on both surfaces of base gasket? Any other advice while I’m at it? Ta.

2. There is only one gasket listed for that engine at 0.4mm. There are o-rings at the top of the studs below the head nuts.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information