1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Clutch slipping

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by eyore, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Just noticed today for the first time I seem to have a slipping clutch, only really happens at highish revs when I open the throttle hard say 6thou plus in 4/5 gear.
    Clutch fluid level is ok, with no hydraulic leak. I am using a standard slave cylinder with a barnett clutch and basket. Dunno if its relevant but when I let out the lever it only bites at the last moment as the lever is almost fully out.
    I assume the plates are worn, but before spending a fortune , can anyone confirm the probable cause?

2. Off top of head - I wonder if system is 'hydraulic-ing' from your symptoms. Do you have freeplay at lever when bike is warmed up? On another direction - do you have all six springs on clutch?

EDIT I don't know how 'hands on' you are eyore, but above assumes that you have checked plates for wear as first obvious port of call that I guessed you'd ruled out as it's nice and easy to do.

#2 Chris, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. How do you mean hydraulic-ing Chris ? . Yes all 6 springs fitted.

4. Any idea what kind of mileage you have on the clutch? Does sound like worn plates. Does clutch fully disengage ok, ie at a standstill ?

5. Yes Steve, clutch fully disengages at standstill and neutral is superbly easy to find. The symptoms seem all too similar to my zx7r last year, a new set of plates cured it.
    As mentioned its a full Barnett Clutch fitted in Jan 2010 .Mileage since has been approx 6k.

6. I'd say new plates required (and maybe new basket if badly notched, hopefully not), 6k is about right for a 998 set of plates, riding in London I managed to knacker a set in 3k !

7. Ok, dismantled clutch, and friction plates well knackered , new set required asap:frown: Its a Barnett basket and pressure plate ,does this limit me to Barnett plates or can I use other types or are Barnett worth going for.
    Any advice on best supplier?

8. Give a ducati dealer a bell... Genuine kits had come down a lot since I last enquired a few months ago! There was only a few quid in it between genuine and Barnett.

9. Yep, fair comment, will do that in the morning before deciding whatway to go.Thanks.

10. I've spare plates and basket if you're ever stuck K.

11. My Basket is ok but I'd be interested in a set of plates:upyeah: Are they new or as, new?

12. Ok, bit the bullet, Nogaromill 999 from Solo Corse to the rescue with a new Barnett kit.:upyeah:

13. Excellent, have fun

14. Sorry @eyore, fellow Fulvia fan, I never got back to you to explain. It only normally happens on dismantling and then re-assembling when (by chance) slave piston is allowed to travel partway down the bore in the disengaging direction, allowing an excess of fluid behind it which in turn prevents full travel of pressure plate to the engaged position despite the effort of the six springs. I’ve never come across this apart from above, but you can never rule anything out!

15. Are you after the Forum award for thread resurrection :p

Nog whatever happened to him :noentry:

• WTF WTF x 1
  16. Yes Toby, I never win anything

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information