1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998 Track Fairings

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by twd46, Apr 26, 2021.

1. I need some information. I recently acquired some 996 track fairings from Italy via Desmo Market on Ebay. I then purchased a fairly beat up belly pan. I am wondering if someone can tell me why they do not seem to be compatible as the holes do not seem to line up. The side fairings are fiberglass and the holes on the top that fasten next to the fuel tank are reinforced which means a standard 14mm dzus fastener won't fit. Another curiosity is that the left side fairing isn't cut out enough for the shift rod. I think I could make it work, but it will involve some cutting and drilling. Im not really keen on either. In which case, I may be putting them in the classified for sale or trade. Thanks.

upload_2021-4-26_12-24-25.jpeg

2. Do I understand correctly, you want to fit 996 track fairings and a belly pan of unknown origin to a 998 with road shift gear lever ? Andy

3. Yes. I currently have 996 street fairings on my 998. The coils on the right side were moved before I got the bike so there are no fitment problems with the street fairings.

Yes the shift gear lever is the problem but I recognize now that if were gp shift it wouldn't have the fitment issue.

4. Track fairings aren't always transferrable between models. A 998 track fairing I acquired didn't fit my 748R. A track fairing is also likely to be layed with a reverse shift in mind. Andy

5. Also, track fairings may not be drilled to exact OEM geometry, especially where the side fairings fit the belly panel.

6. Hmm. So perhaps I should just sell the whole lot? Haha

7. The hole positions on the red side fairing look, how should I say politely...fakkin miles out!

8. Haha. Indeed they are. This seems to be the biggest problem other than having to cut the fairing for my non gp shifter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. If it’s a trackbike, just cut/drill to suit.
    If a road bike - sell em!

10. Its a road bike, but I do plan to do some track days this summer. But, I think you are correct. Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information