1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998r Engine?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by DRR117, Feb 23, 2017.

1. I've bought a job lot of Ducati parts but not overly familiar with the 916 996 998 family of bikes. In this bundle of Ducati parts is an alleged 998R engine. Just wondering how I can tell if it is a 998R engine as oppose to a standard 998 and if it is a 998R how much would it be worth. Can't hear it running as it's a job lot of parts not a complete bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Email the nice Italian lady at Ducati with the engine number.

3. Good idea! Hadn't thought of speaking to ducati direct. Bought the forums all knowing members might be able to help. Is there a specific lady at Ducati?

4. I'd drop Skidlids a message, he may even want to buy them off you, given he has 998R still I think :upyeah:

5. Was telling the wife earlier Kev would be the man to ask. Might drop the oracle a message. Cheers Bradders

6. I think @Exige has the ladies on speed dial and their vital statistics but has to stay 100yrds away at all times.......

• Like Like x 2
  7. I think it's Sofia but just use the contact form on the Ducati website.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 100 metres, Italian Court :Finger:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. You could start by whipping the cam covers off and looking at the part numbers on the cams.

I saw that advert, looked extremely cheap for an r engine and what sounded like most of a bike and spare wheels

10. Yeah hence why I'm sceptical about it being a 998R engine but he did seem genuine and just needed rid as he lost his storage unit. The whole lot was being carried around in his van as he doesn't have any space!

11. Are the 998R Engines Sand Cast and not painted like the 996R?

12. The cams will give it away for sure and it's only 6 bolts. Even if it's a 998/999 deep sump motor it was value

• Like Like x 1
  13. Do you have anything for sale that would interest a 996SPS owner? (Especially if they could make it quicker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Stripes? Paint it yellow?

:innocent:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cases should be sand cast iirc and the engine number will be 999, not 998 as it was 999cc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Did you indeed buy the bargain of the year? The suspense is killing me... ha ha

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Ha maybe just sorting through the Carbon bits. Certainly won't lose any money on the investment. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments, gonna get in the garage and check the engine tonight and see what I'm dealing with.

18. I'll be breaking it all and selling it all but I'm not sure what will make yours faster. Nothing really trick, few pieces of Carbon and some yellow bodywork (gotta be worth a couple of BHP!) :grinning:

I'll sort through it and see what's what later.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information