1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998s Refurb

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by West Cork Paul, May 24, 2020.

1. Refurb - pah, even as I start this thread I know full well this is going to end up expensive and my PayPal account is going to get hammered:confused:.

Anyway, here we go......

I bought myself a 998S:upyeah::D

1 owner, full service history, 5800 miles (only done 1200 miles in the last few years) so hardly used. It has a few extra farkles on there (yes, I know, it's a biposto with a mono seat before anyone points out) such as titanium Termis, CF air tubes, CF clutch cover, CF mono seat, CF exhaust heat shields, CF fuel cap, DP race footpegs, plus I have a big bundle of paperwork including original invoice. I also have the original seat, the original footpegs, the original exhausts and all the other original bits that have been replaced, plus both keys and the original book/manual set. It was also spec'd when ordered with a Troy Bayliss Replica decal kit. Not the same kit as THE Troy Bayliss Replica but (thanks to @andyb ) I've identified it as the kit from Troy Bayliss' 2002 WSBK Ducati. Oh, and it has his signature on the mono seat, not once but twice*.

IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2795.jpg

It's currently in the shed and it's refurb is underway.

* Well I was told it's his, it could be just some fella in North London who scribbled on it one day:confused:

• Like Like x 16
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. At last :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. First, fix the wonky seat. The mono seat was loose and wobbly and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to sit on it whilst riding. Turns out the rear assembly wasn't screwed into the fixings securely (note it's the fittings off the biposto unit repurposed for the mono seat) so I fixed that easy enough however, that wasn't the only problem. The front hinge was also loose.

Easy enough, just tighten it up. Errr, not quite that simple. I don't like the way the bolt is extremely difficult to screw in :worried:. Take a closer look and it's at an awkward angle, remove it and attempt to refit it, nope it goes in at a strange angle. It's cross-threaded:mad:. Someone has cross-threaded it in the past and then just left it loose.

To the rescue comes my €9.99 Aldi tap & die set:upyeah:. A bit fiddly due to the limited access but eventually the socket is re-threaded M6 (it wasn't too far gone) and a new bolt is fitted. The seat now fits and catches securely:upyeah::).

First job jobbed:upyeah:.

IMG_2805.jpg IMG_2802.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. So far, zero expense - me likey:D:upyeah:

But..........

The exhausts:confused:. Hmmmm.

When advertised it was advertised as having 54mm titanium Termis - coolio:upyeah:. Bear in mind I bought it in the UK and didn't see it in the flesh, only had photos and conversations. Although a friend from this very Forum did check it over for me I never specifically said, 'make sure they are 54mm Termis', and he would never have thought to look at that detail, why would he? It turns out they're 45mm Termis, fitted into the 50mm pipes that are standard on the S model.

My initial thoughts are, surely that will cause excess back pressure? :thinkingface:, but on going through the extensive paper file with the bike I find the invoice for the exhausts and they were supplied and fitted by the same dealer (On Yer Bike) who supplied the bike and fitted prior to handover. So now I'm thinking, maybe they're OK:thinkingface:. I haven't yet removed the ECU to see whether or not it's been replaced (or had a new EPROM - not sure what the protocol is on 998s yet), that's Tuesday's job.

Anyway, thoughts on the exhausts, do I need to replace them? Am I about to offer some 45mm titanium Termis for sale?

IMG_2804.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Don’t understand why they would fit 45mm Termis into 50 system...
    If you can Paul, try to get the 54mm half system for your bike. The 54 to 50mm link and the 54mm end cans.
    What are your plans for the refurb?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. So was this sold from new as a MONO or BIPOSTO bike?

7. I have some 50mm E3 stamped termi's somewhere :thinkingface: think they are off a 998S

• Like Like x 1
  8. Someone has grafitti'd on your seat panel left hand side :scream:

9. Nice one Paul :)
    Watching......

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. As a BiP the original purchaser specified the graphics and seat but only after the order had been placed and the bike was on its way. What I'm thinking is if I really really need to have Mono subframe I can get one from Febur for under €400. Mind you there was an original one went for £255 on the Bay the other week, whether it actually sold at that, ie, was there a reserve or not, I don't know but that was the highest bid.

Thanks. I do have the original silencers which are 50mm so can always use those but obviously they're not CF or titanium. What's the E3 stamp anyway?

Neither do I, but as they were sold by an 'official' Ducati dealer I'm guessing it should be OK :thinkingface:. There is a set of 54mm CF Termis with 50-54 link pipe on the Bay at present but he's asking £1300 and won't reduce :eek:. Even if I put the 45mm ones up for sale I reckon I'd be lucky to £500 judging by what else is out there at present, so an £800 expense:(.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Yeah I know, and on the right hand side :(, b'std!

12. Really looking forward to this !!! will it need new sprockets ??? Best of luck with her @West Cork Paul

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. A stamp with the letter e and the number 3 - EU legislation something or other on the end cap of the cans - from 2002 onwards I think. Will be on your standard pipes perhaps. :thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I was thinking Cafe-Racer:thinkingface:. I've got a couple of ideas in my head.....

46929_1590441162331_1274929198_1626221_6526429_n.jpg images.jpeg

LOL :D.
    Sympatico Resto

• WTF WTF x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Euro emissions compliance mark, Euro 3, Euro 4, Euro 5 etc etc

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/exhaust-e-numbers.31435/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I fess up. For it was I.
    I honestly feel pretty shit about this as I just did not spot that at all. So sorry Paul :(
    In my (meagre) defence, I had not been feeling well. It was also a f’ing hot day with daft levels of sunlight and my first time out for a while.
    I was focussed on the forks, engine, corrosion, signs of a crash, sprang issues, etc, not a specific exhaust question. Quite simply I missed it, god knows how.
    In my pitiful defence, I did send Paul the picture below but, still no defence.
    i think that its a cracking bike, looks and sounds awesome and is one I would love to own.

I was gutted when Paul told me about the exhausts. Felt like I had let him down. :sob:

DEFB488C-9EA8-41C6-B7AE-A4EADF9B4355.jpeg

• Love You Love You x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. I’ve a pair of carbon fiber 50mm pipes doing nothing if you’re interested,I always wanted titanium silencers

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Ah, no worries EJ, I don't blame you at all, stop feeling bad please. I never noticed from the photo you sent either. You definitely didn't let me down at all, it was tremendous help you going to have a look at it in the flesh for me :upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Interesting:thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information