1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999/749 Starting Procedure

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Old rider, May 23, 2019.

1. The manual tells you to leave the throttle alone and use the cold-start lever when starting the engine, unless the ambient temperature or the engine is warm/hot.

How much to pull the lever though and how warm is warm enough??

I think I may have stumbled upon the answer and I'm probably not the first if I have but I thought I'd share what seems may be the solution:

Stab the starter button to initiate the automatic 'servo' starting and simultaneously, steadily but not too slowly, pull the lever until the motor fires, then adjust the idle speed with the lever to a moderately fast idle before returning the lever to off when the motor has warmed a little.

This is working a treat for me, I thoroughly recommend giving it a try :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I agree.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Might give that a go come winter. When ambient temp is double figure plus I generally find my 999 will fire up on the first or second starting cycle. I then pick it up on the throttle until reaching for fast ideal. Prior to fitting the exact start kit a few years back, the bugger just would not start at all sub 8 degrees.

4. What do you mean by a starting cycle??
    Doing this, mine is starting first or second engine revolution in current temperatures - it's just bursting into life almost immediately.

5. By cycle I mean the auto starter cycle after hitting the button. Similar to yours, my T9 will fire in these temps almost straight away but sometimes second attempt if not ridden regularly. It also really does not need the fast idle in current warm temps from cold...but defo needs it in colder temps on a cold start. Just had the sprag done at 23k, which I put down to previous owners not fitting extra earthing etc earlier. How many miles have you got to?

6. 15,000
    I'd be panicking if mine failed to start before the end of the first 'cycle' lol

The good part of doing it this way is that the engine fires when the lever reaches the optimum point for that temperature.

If that point is as soon as, or even before you start to move the lever, all well and good :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. I never need the cold start lever

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. My track 749R starts first time with no throttle or fast idle - in fact it doesn't even have a fast idle fitted. CJS remapped.
    My road 749R needs fast idle but starts ok. Has a tendency to cut out at idle randomly even when hot. PC111 fitted.

9. Biggelaar remap here

• Like Like x 1
  10. I thought you were selling that Derek?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information