1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999/998 Back To Back!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by JoeC, May 11, 2017.

1. So having taken delivery of my 999S a couple of days ago, i took the afternoon off yesterday in order to give it once round the block here on the twisty bumpy roads of the portes du soleil which border France and Switzerland. I then did the same run on my 998 for comparison. I hadn't ridden or even looked at a 999 since 2005 and have owned nothing but 916 series bikes since the mid 90's so wasn't sure what to expect from it, least of all would it be a 'good fit'. I bought this one sight unseen and had done nothing but unload it and tuck it away in the grange for the night.
    On climbing aboard my first impression was of a distinct lack of weight and readyness to drop in. I live at an altitude of 1250m and the main road linking my nearest towns of Geneva and Evian is at 400m so I start my journey with quite a descent through a series of tight hairpins and switchbacks, some of which have are so tight as to be taken in 1st gear whilst feathering the clutch for good measure. The 998 is hard work on these roads, I don't so much steer it as have to muscle it over with my knees much as you would a horse. It's heavy and slow to turn and has a tendency to stand back upright again leaving me often on the wrong side of the road. I realise these roads are not its natural home but by comparison the 999 is so easy to turn that it would literally fall over if I used the same tactics.

On to the open roads and the story is the same, the 999 drops in to the bends so much quicker and with such ease that I almost forgot I was riding a superbike, the 998 really does require concentration on these roads, with a mountain on one side and a river ravine on the other, there is no room for second chances. The 999 seems so easy to ride through this section and I could flick it about like a 125.
    Don't misunderstand me, I love the 916 series bikes and will always have one or another, plus I'm pretty sure that 20 years of riding them will mean I'm faster on one, if only for the moment but jesus, what a difference a decade makes in handling terms. Don't get me started on the brakes.
    I can't wait to get them both on the track and into their natural environment to really see how things moved on!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Joe, my experience of a 748 and 999 are similar to yours but the 748 is significantly more precise and very much more of a sport bike - perhaps too focused for normal road use. However the 999 is running on barely legal Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres (which I hate), it has taken me a while to find the best tyre pressures for it and the 748 is running much newer tyres as well as been properly set up on ride height and suspension. Once the 999 tyres are replaced next week (suspension has already been set up) I will finally have bikes that are set up properly with new rubber. The biggest difference for me is the 748 goes exactly where I want it. The 999 is so much easier to drive, more forgiving but does its own thing more, especially the back end. You do however need to be physically stronger to ride the 748/916 properly. First impression for me on the 999 was "where has the Ducati gone" I have learnt since it is just a different kind of Ducati and has as much if not more good bits.

#4 Denzil the Ducati, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. It's not a fair comparison if the 999 is on squared off rubber. The profile will be nothing like that of a new tyre. Also, have you got the oem 190 on there or the much recommended 180?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah, plus getting each bike's suspension and geometry set up similarly too

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My comparison was mainly with worn out tyres on both bikes but have just (within the last couple of weeks) fitted new tyres on the 748 which reminded me how precise it is, with worn tyres it really does need much more strength to drive it but the precision is still there. I hope to get the 999 back and it is due new tyres and an MOT this week. As stated, I hope from this week to be able to do a fair comparison with both bikes set up and on new tyres, I intend using 180 on the back rather than the 190 specified in the handbook. It will be interesting to see if the precision of the 748 is matched by the 999

6. What tyres are you fitting ?

7. I know you're not asking me directly, the 998 is on Michelin Power Cup Evo, 190 on the rear and the 999 is on Michelin Pilot Power, 180 on the rear but only because the dealer fitted them and delivered it before I had the chance to ask for Power Cup Evo.

8. Chase, probably M7RR, I am not a fan of Pirellis or Dunlops and need something that works in the wet and does not need a hot day to work well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hello mate, is that the rd to chatel? I worked up there for a few months, several years back and promised myself I would get back there with a bike. Seen many nutters flying around there on all manner of machines..
    as for the comparison, I have a 748 and up till a few weeks ago I had a 749 . They are chalk and cheese really in characteristics in my mind but both do have the Ducati soul,albeit delivered quite differently. never had the 749 set up for me properly which was a shame as I do think it would have been the better handling if so. That said the 748 is fantastic and I would never swap it. I will have another 749 though.

10. I think the Testastretta engine probably has a lot to do with the different feel and characteristics aside from the chassis changes.

11. 100% it's a faster revving donk for a start.. Not necessarily higher revving but it spins up faster. First thought for me was it doesn't have as much torque but I'm not sure if that's true. Being a bit used to the air cooled ss and my trusty 748 the 49 felt a bit jap to begin with but after a few rides i know it ain't like that. It's a duc for sure... Man i miss that bike...

12. Ha yes it is, from Morgin/Châtel down towards Lac Leman. Lovely road but to get to it from my village I have to come off one of the cols (don't know the english word) and the road is a single lane twisty one!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Obvs my 998 has the testastretta motor same as my 999 so it was really the handling I'm focusing on!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I like the fact my 996 and 999 have different engine. Makes them feel more different. Although the ergonomics do that plenty.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  15. very nice part of the world. Me and my brother refurbed a property there. We redone the kitchen and had the cooker out on the balcony for a few weeks.. Great memories of cooking breakfast as the sun was coming up over the alps. Not so great memories about being arrested and spending a few nights banged up in Switzerland but that's another story...

16. Tease... ;)

17. Yeah but given Switzerland, you might have been buttoning your jacket up wrong to get banged up.

18. What a difference 10 years makes?
    They were designed at the same time! Hence the 998 engine having the unused 999 earth point on the engine. I have a 999 built in the year 2000 and a 998 built in 2002 :innocent:

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information