1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 - An Idea Before Its Time

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by gliddofglood, Apr 12, 2018.

1. So, I was at the local butchers in the next door village with my 999 (well, not mine, but the story is too long to be told for those who are not already familiar with it.) First day this season I have taken it out. It's a very clean example, very red, rather good-looking.

As I am about to head off, some random guy starts walking all around it and admiring it. "Beautiful machine", he says. I told him it was 12 years old. "What?" he says, incredulously. "It looks as if it has just come out of the factory!". I explained that the design was years ahead of its time. And then I start thinking how true that is. The 999 (and 749) could have been released this year and no one would say that they looked out of date.

It's a design that just looks better and better. Who do we thank, Terblanche?

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 4
  2. A beautiful bike no doubt, but I would say the headlight is a slightly dated look/ style which would separate it imo from current bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. Agree completely. Beautiful design.

4. Was admiring mine at the MOT station today.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It was quite surprising when we had a poll for the vote: 916 or 999 as they about drew in popularity and beat all other years outright between them - how time has made the decision!
    When they came out I wasn't really into Ducati's, hadn't really given them a second glance. The 916 when it launched caught my eye but not my wallet.
    When I decided to buy a Ducati the first was a 998 and it wasn't until I had a girlfriend with a 999 that I had even really noticed them. That was about 6 years ago and now I have 3 stunning examples of the marque. The race bike in particular is in my and many other peoples opinion the best racing Ducati in looks and was the best in wining world championships, which says something for Terblanche's skill and foresight :)

What are these headlights people still speak of? I hardly notice them even when not sat on the bike... :eyes:

wallpaper-157477.jpg ducati 999 f03.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. I can relate to this.

A couple of years ago my 999r Fila let me down in Brighton, was the dreaded battery lead syndrome.

I pushed it up onto the pavement right outside the pier and had floods of people taking pictures and asking about the bike.

Most of them were not bikers !

Yes the old girl has certainly turned from a once ugly ducking into a swan !!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. i see what you mean about not noticing the headlight...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Had a 916 996 999. I miss the 999 the most.

9. I had a 916 (a couple of them) for a few years. I was at a dealers today and they had a 916 sitting about. I thought how incredibly dated it looked compared to my 999 which seemed completely up to the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Build quality of the 999 was really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MMMmmmmm boobies!

Have to agree, timeless design.
    Always get a bit of attention when parked up somewhere, such a lovely bike to ride and get nearly as much enjoyment looking at the thing as riding it :)

008 (4).JPG

002 (15).JPG

• Like Like x 11
  12. Had mine since 2004. It's been my all time favourite bike and a keeper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Same.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The long flat stance, brakes, suspension, cockpit and lights clearly date it to those in the know, but when it comes to the overall styling the 999 is a one off and therefore somewhat timeless. A lot of bikers think it looks great these days, but looking at it objectively it was an evolutionary dead end in terms of styling. The reality is that Terblanche and Ducati dropped a real clanger at the time and quickly changed back to a more 916 influenced shape for its superbikes. The reaction to the 999s styling in the market was so negative that none of it found its way into any later bikes - Ducati or otherwise. For these reasons it certainly stands out as something unusual - particularly to non bikers.

I don't think we can really put the race success of the 999 down to Terblanche. It was clearly the chassis and engine design that won races, not the styling.

Personally if I could have one in my garage I'd go for a Nero mono

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. :(:confused::confused::confused::confused: sniff. .. I want my Nero back....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. yip, its the bike that made me notice ducati. 916 bowf, 999 mm mm mmm. if the right deal came up, i would lose the 848 for 749 in yellow, all i need for out here.
    :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  17. I can create a 999 with yellow 749 fairing in about 3 hours :upyeah:. Was thinking of doing while waiting for a 999 panel to turn up on eBay to raise some eye-brows!

18. yip, but i like to max em out, i lack the skills to do it with the 848 on the road. 749 superb. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Just shows the difference in design then, you could change your 996 fairings into a 748/916 in five minutes.
    Steve

20. LOL. I'm not the quickest. Tank and fuel pump etc would take some time and front wheel needs out to.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information