1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Brake Master Cylinder Kit

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bill.M, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Hi I’ve been trying to find a brake master cylinder kit for my 999 but can’t find anything. Unhelpfully Ducati only sell the whole master cylinder so I was wondering if any one has sourced a kit of the same size from another Brembo cylinder on a different bike. If it’s any help the cylinder has an internal bore of 18 mm.

2. The brake is inherintly shite so there's probably nothing wrong with it.
    Try removing the caliper and bleeding ibefore trying to rebuild it.

3. What the 4 pad caliper Or the master cylinder Ricky?

4. Seals are definitely knackered as is the combined end cap and dust seal so I really need the replacement seals. It doesn’t mater to much if another kit had a physically different piston as long as the seals are the same.

5. Ducati decline to sell seal kits for brake master cylinders because they are a safety critical component and will not put their business in the position of being sued if an individual fails to complete a refurbishment job properly and subsequently injures or kills themselves. Not all motorcycle manufacturers take the same line so if you can identify a similar master cylinder used by say KTM, you should be able to buy a kit from them. Failing that, send it to someone like Bike Torque Racing who will send it off to be refurbished by Brembo. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Oops...assumed the OP was talking about rear brake! Ignore what I said. Apologies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. that makes more sense!!! i was thinking, huh? the front brakes on the 749 are pretty good normally...

8. Thanks for the advise Andy , I will see how I get on matching something up.
    It would be nice to think Ducati had our safety in mind but my cynical side says it’s just a way for them to extract extra cash from us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blame the Rioja...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I bought a new dust boot for my 999 master cylinder, online at Trevor Pope, who are a KTM dealer. Easy peasy. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. Thanks Old rider . I tried Trevor Pope today and they can’t find any kit with an 18mm bore/piston, do you remember what bike the seal kit you got was from.
    I also notice a lot of there brakes now only offer the complete master cylinder purchase option. Also spoke to a Brembo dealer yesterday and because of a litigation issues Brembo will not supply seal kits.

12. Gosh, it’s 5 years ago now but you may be able to find the part number on here as I did post about it at the time. The part number should lead you to the correct master cylinder. The part I got from them was the rubber boot that seals the plunger, which contacts the brake lever.
    Iirc, the litigation issue was in America and Brembo wanted anyone selling Brembo parts to agree to a disclaimer absolving Brembo from any attached liability. Allegedly, Ducati refused but KTM agreed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. upload_2019-12-31_15-28-19.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Luckily that's all I need I really appreciate all your effort. Cheers Old rider.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information