1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Gabagool, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Hi people
    Has anyone got any advice on cleaning a 999? Got a few flies on it but not sure if I can use a hose pipe/snow foam on it...

Cheers

2. Never use a jet wash, always use a hose.

I purchased all my cleaning products from AutoBrite (AB) or Chemical Guys UK if matt paint.

My cleaning method goes a bit like this:

1. Putoline chain degreaser to clean the chain (use muc-off chain brush)
    2. Use a 8l spray bottle with AB citrus cleanser for decontamination
    3. rinse off with hose
    4. Wash with gloss enhancing shampoo (purple velvet) from AB with decent wash mitts (use a bucket with filter)
    5. Rinse off with hose
    6. Dry with decent towel (the reaper) from AB
    7. lube chain with Putoline Tech Chain ceramic chain wax and micro fibre cloth
    8. Autosol for the chrome bits
    9. Autoglym wax for the glossy bits (left over from when i was a youngster!!)
    10. Pink sheen from AB sprayed onto a microfibre cloth for all the plastic bits
    11. Glass polish from AB for the mirrors, tft dash and screen.
    12. Every other wash i spray the engine, plastics and wheels with GT85. This adds a layer of protection which helps with future cleaning. Be careful not to get any on your brake discs!

This is just my method, I’m no expert, you just need to find your preferred way

3. Hi mate thanks for letting me know.
    Just a. Question on the plastics... my panigale has a few plastic bits (mainly black) and colour slightly changing. Any advice on how to bring them back?
    I do also have a problem with the bloody chain flicking up oil and onto the wheel. I still use dry lube on it though?
    I will definitely take your advice on the cleaning. Because my 999 is only used twice maybe 3 times a year it won’t need much cleaning I suppose...

Cheers!

4. Smooth peanut butter works on black plastic trim.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ... and the 'back to black' finish from peanut butter lasts longer than with any other stuff I've tried

#5 Borgo Panigale, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Really?

You'd get a nice roasted peanut smell when riding too!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. No worries.

I use ceramic wax and use it sparingly rubbing it all over the chain with a microfibre cloth. Because i clean and wax the chain regularly you don't need loads of it.

I've found brake cleaner, GT85 or tar/glue remover the best way to remove lube from anything.

If you visit AB or other car detailing sites you'll find a range of products designed to restore plastics. Use something like that to get them looking new again and then keep them clean and protected with something similar to Pink Sheen from AB.

8. Try it and see. Particularly where you have got polish engrained in the black trim.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Brilliant mate thank you again!

• Like Like x 1
  10. To remove the dead flies, soak a Tea towel in water leave for a while and they’ll come away with the towel. Good for flies on crash helmet/visors, no idea on the rest of your question though...sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. You can't beat good old kitchen roll soaked in cold water and slung over the helmet to remove them pesky flies!!!

Once you've polished the bike, and if you keep that up, removing road grime and flies is a piece of piss. A good quality citrus wash (watered down) does a great job of removing most of the grime and flies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Cool. I wonder - is it just the peanut oil doing the magic or the peanut 'solids' acting as a very mild abrasive + the oil for a sheen?

13. I personally don't get the fear around using a pressure washer. Granted a 999 isn't a brand new bike but still designed to withstand all weather conditions, as long as you're not pointing it cm away from the bike or down the ignition barrel you'll have no issues. Have used pressure washer and snowfoam etc on all my bikes over a number of years and it's the only way you'll safely decontaminate the bike before making contact.

As for plastic, most back to blacks have a thick greasy feel and look to them that doesn't exactly shout factory fresh and will fade again. I used this recently and it's incredible - Carbon Collective | Platinum Trim Ceramic Coating Ceramic coating with 3h hardness, instant darkening and restoration of plastics, two year protection from two coats. They do 15ml bottles as well which is more than enough for around £25. Another great option and similar product would be Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer 15ml | Clean and Shiny – CleanandShiny

Not the best before and after pics but you get the idea, did a great job at hiding the rear brake fluid reservoir leak over the heat shield

Trim1.jpg

Trim 3.png

Trim 2.jpg

Trim 4.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

14. Great tip - I normally use ACF 50 which is amazing !

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've used a pressure washer and snow foam on all of my bikes... its a motorbike, not the mona lisa, I don't get why people are so scared.

I do make sure it's thoroughly dried afterwards though, including blowing out any hard to reach areas with an air line

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. So much has evolved since I last had any reason to consider using a pressure washer, but the reason not to used to be that it could force water past seals, for instance at swing arm bearings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Or into electrical connections

18. Yeah, this particularly with (older?) Ducatis.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information