1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 Dilemma

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Steve Fry, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hello people.

I think I have made a possible error of judgement with this model. I havent owned a Duke before, and I think i should have bought a bike more suitable to my needs! I have been into classic middleweights for the last couple of years and I think i need to stick with them.
    I only bought it a short while ago, had an issue with the regulator, so shipped it off to MotoRapido for a full check and diagnostic. New Regulator fitted and shes all sweet, no other issues.
    I just can't get used to the bike, its too full on race for me, as much as I would have liked it to have been the one for me.
    Could be open to a good offer, i have seen some more suitable machines that I should have looked at originally! Bike pulls like a steam train and sound amazing.

999.jpg

#1 Steve Fry, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. How many miles have you done on it, not enough by sound of it. I'm guessing its your 1st ducati, they can take a bit of getting used too. I have a 999 and love it, Im over 60 over 6' and overweight and I get on fine with mine, solo and 2up. They are a pig round town but thats not what theyre designed for. I put slightly higher clipons and adjusted the footrests forward and low. Ive also dropped the forks to 4rings showing to quicken steering. Tyre pressures are important on 999, try R35 F33.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. What you looking for £s?

Mileage. Prev owners etc

Cheers

4. make a few more posts and you can list it properly in the Sale Section

5. Don't rush into selling it.
    I thought the same when I first bought mine. it's now written off but I had it 9 years loved it and miss it now. Get the suspension set up professionally and play with tyre pressures , I found 35f and 36r suited me better.

downloadfile-1.jpeg

6. Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    I haven't done a lot of miles on it, a couple of shorter trips. Last big bike I had was an R1 which was a joy, not sure about this one though. I expect it will grow on me but I'm not convinced yet!

7. In which case ride it for 3 weeks solidly. You will then love it :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. 4 previous owners I think, mileage is 13500 full history all keys code card, recent belts. Got to be around £5k Mark. One of the bikes I was after has just been sold so not in a rush. As detailed earlier, just had new Ducati regulator fitted so it's guaranteed, receipt as proof, also fitted a new battery. Got new brake and clutch levers on order as adjusters were damaged on both.

9. I love the look of it, my wrists and back don't agree with my eyes!!!! Haha

10. They all do that sir.

Seriously though you will adjust. When I bought my first Ducati I thought I'd bought the wrong bike too (came from a R1). My wrists hurt like hell. Three weeks later after riding it at every opportunity and all was good. And more importantly the bike was aces. Much better than any of the bike jap bikes I'd had before.

I'm on my fourth Ducati now :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Never ride a 916.

Move the footpegs about, get suspension set up for you.

I don't like mine on motorways or a bypass, get her on A roads and it's a different game.

12. got a 7 myself not the 9 but I also find it not so comfortable, infact my 748 is way better but I'm 100% sure that is down to the fact the 749 is not set up for me where as the 48 is. The 748 was horrible ( fantastic but not user friendly) till I had it set up, now its soooo good.. The wrist pain and every thing doesn't really enter my head now unless doing 150+ miles in a day..
    Don't give up, get it tweaked suspension wise for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Clip on position and adjusted the SAME both sides, lever angle, lever reach, footpeg position, how you weight the pegs, and where exactly you sit on the bike make a huge difference on ability to ride one of these bikes relatively comfortably and in control.

Sounded to me like the OP just wanted to sell it but if he wants to try and get on with it then spend some time setting, and adjusting, the ergos to suit and get the suspension sag right for the rider's weight.

Also make sure the tyres aren't worn out or crap in addition to the other poster's tyre pressure comments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I've had mine for 3 1/2 years wrote it off and rebuilt it !
    A mono gives more adjustment but limited luggage options .
    A friend rode it last Sunday and I rode his Tracer 900 which I found really easy to ride and the modern electronics are an aid .
    What he thought of the 9 was interesting - brakes with good feel , good suspension , loved the gearbox , loved the noise , loved v twin feel ( never rode 1 before ) didn't like low speeds - overall he was impressed and didn't expect to be ! Considering there is 12 years between the bikes

• Like Like x 2
  15. if you have realised you should have got the later model and are selling it to get one of those then very well,,,,,, but apart then ( as everyone says ) give it a chance,,, took me about a day to get to love my 749s..

16. Did 230 miles on it last weekend, nearly killed me! i am seriously considering getting something less extreme!

17. Slighly higher clipons make a big difference although there was a mod swapping bars over (L to R) to give a better position.

#17 900streetfighter, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  18. dont worry , i still feel like that when i go out on mine,,, but still love it and wont be selling..

19. If you want to go more “touring” and less Superbike, don’t buy an SSie without a test ride. That might be even worse than the 999.

20. I wonder if he still has it or what he bought, it was a year ago now :thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information