1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Flooded Help !!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by slumdog, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Starting problems with the 999 so had new plugs and no change, will turn over as normal, buffs out faint black smoke and smells of fuel. Will fire too soon sometimes and throw the piston back down , nasty .Will back fire occasionally and start sometimes and run rough for a few seconds then settle down. Running seems to be less frequently now).
    Have checked the earth's and all connections look good.
    Any ideas cos it's driving me mad !

2. Fuel pump relay
    plug coils/connections

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Will the lack of relay leave the pump off or running constantly ? Where is it
    :/

4. Is it a really good battery and do you have high cap starting circuit cables?
    These are really good basics to have. If you don't have them, the starting circuit can draw so much current that there's little or none left for the ignition circuit. Also, you run the risk of a knackered sprag clutch.
    You can't go wrong by starting off by making sure you have this solid basis. If you then find the problem persists and you need to look further, you will have lost nothing because your bike will still be an awful lot better for it.
    If you do replace the starting circuit cables, do make sure you replace the vulnerable relay behind the battery box at the same time and also re locate it to the top of said box.

5. Hi old rider i make you right, Exige will be able to help with the cables i would plump for the relays though, if they are intermittent that will not help good luck

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. Yes, it may well be a relay. Need to get the battery box off to swap and relocate one of the relays anyway, so fitting a cable kit while in there makes enormous sense.
    Our Ducatis' starting is absolutely transformed by having a strong battery combined with high capacity cables.
    @Exige is indeed the man to talk to about a cable kit.
    I have one of the American kits that pre-date Exige's ExactStart kits, so paid about double for a kit that isn't as well made, as easy to fit and had poor instructions. Even so, it was the best money I've spent on my bike - what a difference...
    No more lazy cranking and uncertainty about whether it would eventually start or not, now it starts instantly, first time every time

7. how is cranking speed Richard?

8. Cranking speed is good - battery good , have cleaned all started cable earths etc.and all good . Seems the ecu is giving mixed messages as mixture and timing is all over the place . Is there an earth on the ecu? (power commander)

9. Ooh, first mention of a Power Commander.

Hope it's not that, cos I've got one of those... :/

10. does it bump start every time first time? if so and yer happy with the relays and cables. start thinking about the starter. i know, crazy but true.

11. No expert, but tps reset?

12. If it has a PC111 fitted, then check the fly lead from it to the battery negative.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi all , sorry been an idiot ! No power commander on the bike ! Checked the coils today, front could look better and plastic insulation broken around the cable. Might it be these coils ? Do they fail ? Checked all other connection and turned her over - no joy just one pre fire and very fuel smelling exhaust . :/

14. Pre 05 bikes had naff coil/plugcaps. Water ingression caused problems so could be your problem.
    Bike should start on 1 cylinder though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. take the plugs out and check for a v.good spark during cranking. if no spark with the plugs removed lift the rear wheel off the deck slip it in to gear turn the rear wheel, if you get a good spark. what could be the fault?

16. Yes and if both coils spark then clean plugs. then re start engine. and when it starts and runs lumpy turn off immediately. have another look at a plug from each pot... see what colour they are. ie one rich or both rich (sooty/wet plug) and see if its one or both pots running rich...

another thing that could cause rough running is air temp sensor and water sensor being out of range.. have you tested for any ecu fault codes?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Okay will have a go tomoz, testing coils with amps resistance on multi meter as seen on utube :/ Have no way of testing for any ecu fault codes here but no fault light on dash as yet

19. Stuck on the answer as no multiple choice ! If I am testing the plug correctly - there is no spark ,,, No fault code on the dash either with the left button pushed .. can a relay be at fault ???

20. i had a similar fault on my multy1100s v.intermittent at first but got progressively worse. cranking strong smell of fuel the wheezing noise you mentioned. it would bump start every time yet the starter worked fine changed relays checked all connections but wouldn't spark when cranking off the button. turned out to be a faulty starter. i guess it was drawing to much current.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information