1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Issues. Can You Help?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 999Mark, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Hi guys.

I'm having issues with my 2003 999. I'm hoping you knowledgeable chaps can give me some pointers before I just take it to Carl Harrison to look at.

Starting issue first-

From cold it takes a long time to start.
    It cranks OK (new battery and Exige lead set fitted). It tries to start/fire but if I go anywhere near the throttle or use the choke/fast run lever there is no chance!
    Once it has started for the first time I can switch it off, ignition on, prod starter and it will fire up instantly. This is still on a cold engine.

Running issue-

She still takes off like a scalded cat! I can't notice that much difference in first, second or third. Once I'm getting to the higher gears though she won't rev out! Fifth gear will only pull around 7K. At this point there is no sign of a misfire its simply like the last 1/4 turn of the throttle does nothing. I have noticed at this point that if I roll off the throttle slightly it will pick up slightly. It's difficult to do too much testing as my private race track isn't very long :innocent:.

I had another look today and noticed when simply keeping the revs at a constant speed it isn't running very smoothly. Even for a twin. I can notice a miss and an occasional pop. This isn't apparent while riding though.

Different plugs don't make any difference (and they look fine) but that's all I've really tried so far.

No black smoke from the exhaust and no fuelly smell.

My initial thoughts are a suspect coil or TPS. Clutching at straws though.

So. Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Mark.

2. Fuel filter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fuel filter
    Bad fuel
    Fuel pump relay

Any error codes on dash?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. front coil....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. As above, maybe fuel pump pressure or an air filter.

It definitely sounds like it's restricted somewhere in the air or fuel side. :thinkingface:

6. Earth on ecu come off

7. Earth on ECU definitely fitted.

New genuine air filters fitted.

New relay. The pump is priming.

I was thinking fuel filter or possibly perished hose. I'm going to order a filter and have a good look and the pump assembly.

Thank you for the help guys. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. is there a difference with a full or almost empty tank? what its the inside of the tank like?
    as it sounds like a mixture issue, and if its sucking in air /loosing fuel pressure this could give you the symptoms your are getting.
    to minimise messing around i would do as you mentioned above and change the fuel filter and inspect the internal hoses for porosity

9. Thanks Nathan.
    I haven't really ran it from full to empty. Like you, I think its a mixture issue so don't want to run it too hard for too long in case I do some permanent damage!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I experienced a similar issue with a 996 and found the internal pipes/hoses were porous, and with a full tank the effect was reduced, but with the cap open you could see bubbles..
    i also use a fuel cleaner every year to bond all the moisture and it helps to keep the tank etc free from the build up that can occur from these newer Ethanol blends. my buddy had issues with a 748 that had been laid up for 6 months with 1/2 tank of gas, and there was a waxy/ gel like build up all around the edge of the tank at the level of the fuel.
    something also to consider if the bike is running on regular pump gas ( e.g. 95-98 with 10% Ethanol)

link- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-fuel-system-cleaner-200ml/dp/B00ANLFFA6

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. was there an answer to this?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Sorry Andy. No light on the dash to indicate any codes.
    Ignition on with left button pressed indicates nothing.

13. Ignition off, press and hold down left button, then switch ign on ....
    what coils does it have the original with just a connector or the newer ones with a fly lead..

14. EFI Error 17.2.
    Coils just have the one connector.

15. I’ve ordered a replacement fuel filter and in-tank fuel hose. Going to change them anyway.

16. After rechecking the coils it appears as though the vertical cylinder has a connector on the coil but the horizontal coil seems to have the lead as part of the coil assembly.

17. Does the lead plug into the coil top, or does the coil have a flying lead coming off it?

Too late!

18. Right! The left hand fan is disconnected and has been since I bought it. The fan appears to be seized! Have I blown something when I did briefly join the connector?
    The bike will start and run though!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information