1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Knocking....help!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 900streetfighter, Oct 4, 2017.

1. My 40,000 mile bike is making a nasty noise. I caned it for a few minutes and when I slowed down it didnt sound right. Checked the oil after I cruised home and it was a bit low, it took a large pint to get correct level. No oil light came on and it is a deep sump motor, so I dont think oil starvation has caused this.
    It sounds like a fkd clutch but it isnt that, I took the clutch out and the clatter’s still there.
    I have a 15sec film/sound clip but dont know how to load it as its too many mb. Perhaps I could fb messenger it to a clever person on here who could work magic and post it on this thread for me please??
    Hopefully someone will know what the noise is or isn’t.
    Cheers Keith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Fingers crossed for you...

3. Doesn't sound good - no idea how to upload a video on here - I always fail :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You could try uploading it to youtube and then posting that here?

Gotta say though - it's pretty difficult trying to diagnose via video as they are often recorded with poor microphones even if the listener is using good equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Main bearings knackered! :scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Do they sound like really knackered clutch? Are they fed oil or bathed in it from sump?

7. Loud clatter/knock: possibly bottom ends. Rumble: possibly mains. Light rattle: possibly piston slap. Sounds a bit like clutch rattle: maybe loose alternator. Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. That would be my worry :/

9. The combination of low oil level and sudden onset is worrying.
    Surely piston slap would develop slowly. Let’s hope it’s a loose alternator nut...

10. Start by draining the oil out of the engine and filtering it through a coffee filter and examine the bits left in the filter, also pull the gauze filter/magnet and have a look at it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thats next on to do list.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good chance its the mains. It happened to my 999s of the time. I just replaced the engine and sold the knackered one as spares.

13. Hi there loose alternator if your lucky but normally knocking is big end shells and at that mileage would be no surprise good luck

14. Videos; use vimeo or bitchute & then link the uploaded video into a 'media' link. Hope things turn out not to nail biting.

15. Well I haven't drained the oil to looksee but Ive solved the problem......I bought another 999. Same as, facelift bip with 10,700 miles on it. Rode it home from Dorset this afternoon.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. What you done with the old one??

17. In garage. I’ll find out whats wrong with it(suspect ends or mains), take all my bling off, keep plastics tank and wheels and sell whats left probably.

• Like Like x 2
  18. saw a lovely one recently for around £3.9 - looked a real bargain so wouldn't be surprised if it's yours.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information