1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 Newbie, What Do I Need To Know?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Nic, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Hi guys,

First time posting but I have just acquired a 999 and wondered if you guys could give me a few tips/tricks and things to watch out for based on your ownership experiences.

I'm not new to Ducati ownership in general but the 999 seems to have its quirks!

Thanks

Nick

2. hello and welcome

3. Thanks Chizel, looking forward to being a part of the Ducati family again and this forum looks friendly and full of advice!

4. yea they' ain't a bad bunch. Mostly light hearted ( unless ya get involved with the politics n stuff).
    plenty of experience and good advice. Got a 749 myself but unfortunately have covered that many miles on it or had it long enough to really know the ins and outs of that model but it's a fantastic bike, should imagine the 999 will be also.
    where abouts in England are ya mate?

5. Hey

What 'quirks' do you have?

• Some new to the series have had a problem with handling, but mines awesome.
    • Starting can be an issue, upgrade kit from @Exige will sort that along with a good battery, fuel filter, spark plugs and clean air filters. (I've also discovered this week if the idling is set correctly when the engine is warm/hot it can make cold starting hard so use the cold start lever, it's not a choke, there is a difference, it's on the left hand switch gear)
    • Mirrors are crap, do the funky chicken and open your elbows wide and look between your body and arms. Bar end mirrors are an added aid.
    • Twist grip off an R1 results in slightly less turn 0-hero and can be done for £30 with matching grips both sides (i can post a thread link if you wish).
    • +2 rear sprocket helps town riding, acceleration and wheelies (apparently) but not fuel economy. +3 requires a longer chain.
    • clutch can be made lighter/quieter with "quiet clutch mod" (@Old rider ) and new clutch slave if still required.
    • I'm getting lots of rear chatter when pushing hard but that's possibly the suspension needs adjusting, my riding needs adjusting and/or a slipper clutch is required.
    • NGK Spark plugs require a thin wall socket to remove.
    Apart from the endless arguments on if it's ugly or not enjoy, they are very underratted bikes :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Perfect! Thanks

Quirks so far are to do with learning how to take it appart, not even ridden it yet! It took me ages to take off the fairings...didn't know about the plug thing at the front of them and didn't want to snap anything.

Currently trying working out the removal of the silencer, first job is to get a local engineering company to core the exhaust to stop it sounding so quiet! Lol saw a great thread on this process on here.

Is there a good source of video tutorials or manuals online anywhere?

@chizel near Nottingham, you?

7. Fairing is pretty quick once you've done it a few times, mirrors can be a pain to fit right again.

Not taken the exhaust off so can't help, but mine was measured at a poor 92db at a TD week before last. Let us know how you get on with getting it cored.

There is no Haynes i've ever found.

There is a workshop manual but its for the later version with the deep sump, not sure which you have, and it's not as easy to follow as a Haynes (IMO).

8. Fuel pump relay is in a ridiculous place behind battery box where it iis exposed to heat and moisture/cak from front wheel.
    It can cause all sorts of woes and weird running/error codes when it starts failing.
    There is a rubber grommet/holder on top of the battery box that is basically perfect for it. Relocate and replace it at the earliest possible convenience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. west London.. Think there is a thread on here about free manual down loads? I'd say do a search but in 5 years ive not worked how to do it! ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeah it's a later one, 2006. So happy with it, I've wanted one ever since they first came out but only just got round to having one. Might be a keeper!

Seem to be pretty rare, especially the later one, not seen many about. The cost and rarity of the termi's has shocked me, my last Duc was a 748 and parts were everywhere in comparison!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hello nic, welcome. Get a new fuel pump relay(£3) and fit it with a finger from a rubber glove over it. Carry old as spare. Its behind battery box that has to be swung out on loom to get access. At same time upgrade batt/starter cables or at least an extra earth from batt to starter bolt.
    Raising the fork legs to 4 rings showing is good for quicker turn, rear ride height 285mm between ctrs.
    Get some carbon for it.

12. Haha cool, will give it a blast and see if I can find them

13. Welcome Dave and introduce yourself properly in the newbies section, whydoncha :)

14. Welcome, throw an image or two at us!

15. yea and get some pics up! We like pics

16. WP_20160430_12_35_00_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. that ones all good mate. It was my 748 I had to crash.. It's not to bad tbh wont be a write off by a long shot but all the lil bits add up so maybe 1.5 - 2 k including paint.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information