1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 Service Manual Required

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by oilyfinger, Jul 19, 2017.

1. need to do a belt service on a 2003 999
    tried Carlslater.com but the 999RS04 manual is missing the belt pages (160 -170 ish)
    any help appreicated!

2. Check out the CCW video on Exige's site

3. I have the manual for an 05 'S' version, even though I have an 03 base model, it's the closest I could find.

As @Old rider says, the vid's on @Exige page are very good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Two things to be really careful of:
    Make sure you turn the adjuster the correct way to apply tension.
    Turn the wrong way and you'll be unable to apply sufficient tension and the runs will become dangerously close.
    The other thing to be really careful of is that the top hat spacer for the adjuster pulley is properly in place. Check by placing a straight edge across both pulleys.
    Simple enough things to look out for but getting either wrong spells disaster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. thanks guys. I did the belts on a 999 before but this bike just strikes me as wrong. As i recall when the drive pulley mark is aligned the cam pulley dots on the H cyl should both align outwards to the head/cover joint. Wind it the crank on 90Deg and the V cyl should be the same.
    In this case the V cyl looks like the inlet is out by one tooth but the H cyl the marks are all over the place. The bike runs and I haven't touched it yet other than pull the covers off. I wonder if someone has had the cam pulleys off. Can they go back out of alignment?

6. I had my 916 cams 'degreed' as part of a tune, using offset woodruff keys and now the timing marks appear to be a little out, not quite a tooth and it's still obvious if you get it wrong.

In fact the cam holding tool that keeps the vertical intake cams in place (against the spring tension) whilst fitting the belts won't work anymore because it holds the intake cam in a position that the belt won't align properly, making it too tight to get on.

Everything works fine though, indeed better than before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. just watched the videos, it's all come flooding back to me now. Thanks for all your help folks!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Iirc, you wind back 90*, not on 90*...

9. Yes that's correct, back 90deg for the vertical, the T marks in the cam pulleys face down towards the cranks, where as the H cyl they are up side down! go figure! You'd expect the timing marks on the pulleys to align when the crank was aligned!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information