1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Termi Box Loose

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by cbreeze, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Had the 999s mono since June and the Termi box with tail light assembly underneath is falling down / loose below the rear frame, and pivoting on the forward bolts holding it on. I was told by another 999 rider who actually noticed it that this is a common problem but I've not yet found another resource or photos / diagrams so I can work out how to fix. Grateful for any assistance. Thanks

2. On my 999 the exhaust bracket at the end of the subframe had detached from the two welds. Worst case the subframe could have snapped. The attached image shows a broken subframe, the bracket that went on mine is the last one on the right.

[​IMG]

3. Mine too. Had it professionally welded and reinforced. Cost about 50-60 quid plus powdercoating.

2011-08-17 16.00.44.jpg

2011-08-17 16.17.53.jpg

2011-08-26 17.17.14.jpg

4. Ah yes, that is exactly it. The bracket with the two welds on the far right is completely missing on mine. Presumably this is stainless and can be welded / fabricate a new one? How did you resolve? Any idea on material? 316? Many thanks.

5. If yours is a factory 999 mono it will have and aluminium subframe. My local Ducati dealership gave me the name of a chap who does all their aluminium repairs, cost me about £30 to have the bracket welded back in place. A new subframe will cost you about £750!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. it is aluminium, which grade i do not know. easy repair for the right welder but for it to be straight it needs to be jigged up to prevent warpage under the heat of welding . By the time you add in fuel, stress and paintl/ powdercoat you should be something close to 100 quid for the repair by my experiences. used ones go for all sorts of money and there are bargains to be had if you keep a watch out. there are three generations of subframe and the latest can be found new on ebay from usa sellers for 260 ish quid the last time i looked. look for the extra bracing to the later gen ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cbreeze

This is a know issue on the subframes, happened to mine too. Worthwhile contacting your friendly dealer and requesting a new one from Ducati. I had a new black stronger subframe fitted foc!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks all. Have been recommended a good frame welding shop by my mechanic who had a whole race frame built.

9. Mine's an '03 with low miles so no doubt full of "known faults"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Well known failure on early monos. If you contact your local dealer and ask them to speak to Ducati, you may be lucky and get a replacement at cost. I did, and even after 9 years Ducati looked after me and only charged £160 for a brand new clear anodised replacement.

11. The repair manual on a 2005 999S says the subframe is "ALS 7003 steel tube trellis frame"? Isn't 7003 an aluminium alloy spec?

12. Depends on if it is a mono or biposto, biposto are steel.

13. Definitely not a Ducati Part.

14. [​IMG]

15. ALS 450 is the same steel used to make the frames too.

16. Ive see those on Demon Tweeks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information