1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999r Starting Issues

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Jamiemac, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hi, I was wondering if any of the genius's on the forum can help?

I'm slowly pulling my hair out over the past couple of days with various problems on a 2005 999R.
    I'm helping out a mate who seems to keep all his bikes next to the Titanic judging by the state of them :(

He brought round a very dead 2005 999R. No electrical activity at all and mechanical parts needing major work. Mechanical stuff all easy. Electrical wise I've tried a new battery first, still dead. After cleaning up all the loom connectors, briefly got life and pretty much every error code possible. Error codes changing with every key on/off. So in went a new Main/Front loom and check/swapped out Relays. Old loom had been repaired in about 30 places by someone previously. Hideous mess. Cleaned up every accessory connector.

Now new loom in: Everything working except one "error code 37.3 Serial Cable Disconnect" and fuel pump not 'spinning up' on key 'on'. Funnily the fuel pump was the only thing working before loom change but made a horrible shrieking sound before blowing key on 7.5 amp fuse. Fuel pump spins up if connected directly to 12v supply. Switched 12v on loom connection to fuel flange when tested with multimeter.

The bike has a Nemesis ECU. Would the Nemesis show error 37.3 if the immobiliser had been de-activated? Or could the error 37.3 be stopping the fuel pump spinning up? Clocks show ignition key being recognised. Antenna working fine i.e no 37.1 code.

Was does error "error code 37.3 Serial Cable Disconnect" really mean?

Thanks in advance, Jamie

#1 Jamiemac, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. Suggests the ignition key antenna is not connected.

3. Chris, Thanks for the reply. Checked that and all is fine. Key being recognised and antenna working fine. If I disconnect the antenna I get 37.1 error, but fine with it connected.

4. There is a small earth fly lead that needs to go under one of the bolts holding the ECU. Causes issues if left off or earthed elsewhere.

5. Chris, Thanks... that's also ok. All earths in place and clean.

6. There's a 3amp fuse on the battery box that protects the ECU. See if that has blown.

7. Might sound silly but have you given all the fuses a jolly good wiggling to make sure they're connecting properly ??
    Are the battery and starting cables in good condition?

8. Hi, thanks for all the suggests.

Quick recap of what's been done:
    New Looms, Main and Front which comes with fuses etc.
    New Battery
    Key, Antenna being recognised.
    Battery and ECU earths fine

NOTE: Just tried another std ECU and the 37.3 error still there.

9. Forgot to mention no EOBD light, just 37.3 code. Bike doesn't turn over when starter button pressed. No none std accessories fitted such as Quick Shifter

10. Is the starter relay OK?

11. Justus, Not getting that far, not having the fuel pump pressurise. I've got a spare Starter relay, so I'll throw that in. Thanks, J

12. Replace the fuel pump relay as well.

13. All new relays plus they check out, fuses, looms, 2 ecu's, earths..... :(

14. Try a known good or new battery

15. Carefully check the 26 pin clock connector and plug, especially pins 4 (antennae return) and pin 5 antennae supply

16. Could this be the "serial cable disconnect" Denzil??

17. Denzil, will do. Antenna working ok though. With the Antenna connected, key recognised. Disconnect antenna and I get 37.1 error. I'd love to know what "serial cable disconnect" actually is?

18. Jamie, have you had a look at the aerial ring to see if it is ok, if corroded it may be marginal under the power demand at switch on. Also have you tried a different key

Serial cable error just means that the ecu thinks their is either a line break or intermittent signal on the serial cable between the ecu and the clocks which takes the engine start check signals (these also include clutch, neutral, sidestand signals)

#18 Denzil the Ducati, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Junk the Nemesis ?

20. Denzil, you've got me thinking now.... No neutral light.... The neutral light flashes on when the rev counter does it's sweep but is off from then on even though the gearbox is physically in neutral. I'll hopefully have time to take a look tomorrow. Is there a way of by passing this i.e gorounding it?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information