1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999r Wheel Refurbing

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Pfk, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Hi Gents,

Looking to get my 999r forged wheels re furbished, should I get them paint sprayed or powder coated ?

Or wonder wether these mobile alloy wheel refurbish company’s would be worth looking at.

If anyone could recommend anywhere in Surrey / S East that would be great.

Many thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Powder coating is a more durable but paint is a better finish.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks cookster,
    I’ve only got a few marks on the rims from tyre changes etc just wanted to tidy them up.

4. My 1198 wheels are painted gold which look quality but the paint is really thin, the gsxr wheels were powder coated white just because it was cheaper and more durable for track work. Think powder coating has come a long way over the years, depends on what you use the bike for and budget it guess.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I've just had mine re-painted as the original job was a bit sketchy. The new work looks superb and was fine by 8 Ball in Ripley I believe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I believe were still awaiting photographic evidence too... :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. You are indeed. Not been anywhere near it over the hols

8. If that is all you want, you could try Image Design Custom in Camberley, Surrey. Meticulous but you pay for it. Made a fantastic job of my 1098R wheels. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have had wheels powder coated in the past, and yes very durable. Last set was by Foremost coating , about £60 if I remember right but was just a plain black gloss.
    The 3 spokes on my 996 at the moment are rattlecanned with engine enamel. Cost about £50 in total.
    image.jpg

Then before christmas I came by some 5 spokes, a mate offered to paint them for me. Silly not to accept his offer. Total cost £26 for the base colour.
    image.jpg
    Paint or powdercoat. I'll take either. Considering I hand change all my tyres they can all stand up to wear and tear. But if I had to chose between the two I'd opt for paint with a good quality hard gloss topcoat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. @doogalman are those magnesium with the flat spokes??

11. To be honest I think they are alu. The hub face seems not to have a yellow hue to them. Not really too fussed, feel way lighter than what I remember the 3 spokes. What is it you refer to about the flat spokes Cookster? Not marked as brembo so I was assuming maybe forged ally, enlighten me! Bargain for £180 the pair off gumtree, true as a die. The seller used to race 125 and 250 gpway back early 80's. Seemed very legit.

need to maybe get them on some scales when I get back to germany

Marchesini 10 spoke forged magnesium: Front: 6.04lbs, Rear: 7.76lbs
    Marchesini 5 spoke magnesium: Front - 6.8lbs Rear - 8.7lbs
    Marchesini Alum Forged 10 spoke: Front: 7.64 pounds; Rear: 9.98
    Ducati OEM aluminum 3-spokes, 11.5lbs front, 13lbs rear
    Ducati OEM aluminum 5-spokes (996/998), 9.25lbs front, 12lbs

#12 doogalman, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. flat rear spokes were fitted std to, late 998, s4r, multi etc.
    Edit, the front looks non std.

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. I'm on about the 5 spoke wheels mate, thought the alloy wheels had a step in the spoke, mag had flat face spokes.

14. Thanks Andy.
    Not that far down the road from me, sounds like worth a punt, cheers :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information