1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Flat Pack House/ My New Job

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chizel, Apr 24, 2020.

1. evening chums!
    as many know, i was laid off a lil while back, shortly before cv19 fucked things up, i was a lil worried but did a bit of cold calling on companies i liked the look of and landed myself what seemed to be a fantastic opportunity.
    unfortunately then cv got "real" and messed it up! we were allowed to work but the client on the project we were going to start on didn't want people on site... the job is making granny annexes and although we are working away from the main house and have all our own amenities, they didn't like the idea . fair enough, probably as much about them now being home all day and having their peace disturbed as it was about safety.
    i thought all was lost but 2 weeks back, my now boss got in touch and asked if id like to do a different project.
    anyhu, i thought id share the project as i know some of ya are into this sort of thing and also i like to talk! and share pics. on that front, i dont have many pics to share just yet as my phone is shit.. but i will work on that.
    soooo, basically we are making granny annexes, but the are proper lil houses with a twist. they are made out of sips. structural insulated panels.. totally different to what i am used to doin but really interesting (to me!)
    i have lots to talk about but will post up the 2 pics i have and blab a bit more later!

• Like Like x 21
  2. IMG_0212.jpg IMG_0211.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. chiz sake I saw your title made a mug of Coffee sat down now I’m left hanging:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Fab new Jod Chiddy :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. the panels you see in pic 1 and 2 are about 80% of the panels needed for this job. the couple of packs of timber in pic 2 are about 30% of what is required, the rest are out of shot.
    the lil house is a 1 bed, 6.5 x 10 mtr structure 4.5 mtrs high at the ridge so its quiet big for an annexe (hence me calling it a lil house!).

#5 chizel, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. good luck bud great to see you back at it !!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Good on you, I was also made redundant and thought it would not be worth even trying to get work in my field, but a few well chosen calls have been very positive and interesting.

Is Nick Knowles going to be on this build?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Excellent mate. Do they make a Ducati Annex as well (asking for a friend)?
    Keep up the jood work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I have seen this method of construction used on Grand Designs etc.

Super fast in getting a shell up. Not easy to get people away from bricks and mortar in this country but elsewhere in the world they seem to be open to a huge variety of modern technology.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. so, basically (i love that word, my step son uses it every sentence!) we go in the workshop and cut everything, router out the panels where cut to take the studs and wall plates, cut all timbers to length, glue and nail all the double studs/bearers together and even fit the joist hangers to wall plates when needed, then it gets shipped to site for assembly.. cant describe how that goes yet as iv'e never done it!!!!

#10 chizel, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Interested to know more about these sips -
    good luck with the new projects

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I'm interested in this build Chiz. Would like some info on the foundations and how the panels are fixed to them, waterproofed etc.

13. i think they are all ducati annexes as they start from around 70k for a lil one!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Holy fook. That’s Exige levels of investment.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Seems like there is big money in old people

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. well stay tuned then dude!!! the company used to do a series of footings 500x500x500 in concrete with a dense concrete block on top then the bearers sat on those (unsure how the were fixed) but now they have a company that comes in and does screw piles. as to exactly what a screw pile is i wouldnt like to try and describe it as its only been described to me so far and i may have the wrong idea!!!
    btw, all the builds this company does have planning permission and building control is involved. a lot of companies doing this type of stuff use things like the caravan act to skirt the laws. not saying that is necessarily a bad thing but these are high end jobbies. well reasonably, ive worked on proper high end houses where 70k wouldn't get you a bathroom!

17. granny annexes is just the banner these gaffs go under. they are used for loads of things. work shops, artists studios, home offices, short term holiday lets blah blah. but according to the new boss, this cv thing has seen a 500% increase in requests for brochures and more info. i guess its families wanting the space to get loved ones home if need be or maybe just seeing the value in keeping their elders close... i dont know, but for my sake, i hope its a sector of the building game the is on the up!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Ref your original post, picture 1..

I take it forensics have completed their work and your ok to make a start then mte?

From the yellow chalk outline on the floor the recently deceased had one heck of a long arm... x

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. also i learned how to operate a forklift in 5 mins! the boss on this gig is fucken great, its all price work, i take on the project and have to either do or pay someone else to do stuff. between me and my friend we can do everything bar the electrics and plastering (i can tape and joint which we are allowed to do but this one is specced for skimming).
    as its my first one the boss got me in some help in the form of a young chap who did all the prefabs for 7 years up until a change in his life meant he had to stop.. the kids a legend and has helped us so much this week and hes coming onsite with the boss's son for 3 days next week to get us set up, all paid for by the boss.
    anyhu, on wednesday the kid couldnt be there and i would have to drive the forks. we didnt think about this till we leaving tuesday so i got a 5 min crash (nearly literally) corse! i had it on 3 wheels in the carpark!!!

#19 chizel, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Hi @chizel
    First congrats mate on the new job....same here, but different outcome.
    I'm an architect and have used sips on projects before - we actually prebuilt halves in the factory and brought to site and joined on site....windows and doors all precut.
    Also CLT - similar idea used for a beach house in Camber, on a concrete/basement - the concrete was poured into insulated timber panels which were the shuttering.
    Good luck with it.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information