1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A303 Stonehenge Tunnel Proposals

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete1950, Feb 8, 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. They divert traffic for the summer & winter solstice's but this mental project if it goes wrong will destroy a sacred site. The whole area around the stones should be vehicle free.

2. I was wondering why they didn't just divert around it when I read it earlier :thinkingface:

3. Why dont they just move the stones ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Half of them are yours. They came from the Preseli mountains. Send a truck round and take them away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. A tunnel is by far the best idea , although I can foresee excavations being halted as those pesky Time Team lot keep unearthing Roman tesserae or whatever

6. Cool :cool: Trafalga Square?:)

7. I thought they did that twice a year to coincide with the beginning and end of summer time

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. The thing that worries me about the tunnels is that it will be like the dartford bridge. The taxpayer would largely fund it and then when it is built, they will have charges to use it.

9. Thy could build it with a glass ceiling then you could view from underneath. That’ll be worth a small entrance fee. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Havn't had time to read the link but the whole sacred site thing is kind of defunct when you look at the pictures of them resetting all the stones with concrete and cranes back in the 60s or whenever it was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. i used go down that a303 once a year to a mate in exeter for about a dozen odd years and love seeing the Stones so will miss them,but i do agree the road is a problem and a fix is long over due!:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I use the 303 once a month. I'm happy to put up with a short delay, it's worth it to get a view of this ancient monument.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maintenance and repairs. Every old palace, castle, cathedral, temple, amphitheatre, city wall, etc needs to be repaired and restored from time to time, as the centuries take their toll. That does not make them any less valuable or less worth preserving. In the case of Stonehenge the resetting was done sensitively.

My own view is that this scheme is much needed, long overdue, and has been postponed far too many times already. Whatever the details of the route proposed, somebody would be sure to object to it - but eventually a decision has to be made, if anything is ever going to get done. This proposal would bring that stretch of the A303 up to something like the standards which the rest of the London-Exeter route attained decades ago. The bit between Sparkford and Yeovilton also needs an upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Whilst I understand the logic behind this view; we should be careful what we wish for. On a ride through Norway last year I witnessed a huge amount of road straightening going on. A massive amount of rock was being carved away to straighten what were fantastic twisty roads.

15. Stonehenge?

Level that old shit and put something up that's modern and fit for purpose.

Yet another so- called problem with a simple, workable solution. Silly old UK.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. it's a 'no' from me - tunnel destined to flood within next ten years.

17. Never had an issue. Little bit of stop start for a short distance. Don’t see the problem myself. I’ve always found it akin to going through the dartford crossing at a relatively quiet period.

Putting a hedge up would probably achieve the same result because it’s people staring that cause the stop/start and the occasional rear ender.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Great, another Tunnel to drop the old M900 down a gear and listen to the Remus pipes - Cool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Maybe they've thought to install drainage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information