1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About To Get Engine Covers Coated.

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by comfysofa, Mar 9, 2018.

1. As above but I wanted opinions...

Hypermotard 1100evo sp. It has the gold magnesium covers. I've been having some gear change issues so while researching this I though well, if I've gotta take the covers off I may as well get'em done...pic are on my phone so I'll post them in a min....

Cerakote is going to be my coating of choice. Gonna take the covers over to rich at louigi to get all the bits and pieces out of them before they go off (I think you need as press of some sort to get the bearing out of the generator side so for a few quid I rather some one else do rather than me just fuck them up....

Coating options...

1. Try to get the gold matched.....if I can get bang on great but not so sure about a "pretty close"... It may not look right...

2. Black....that could look good...easy to clean but not the " right colour " as it were.

3. " Sniper green " which is what rich at louigi gets his stuff done in....
    20180309_230011.jpg 20180309_230002.jpg 20180307_194242.jpg 20180307_194233.jpg

2. The tape measure is just for the coating bloke so he can give me an accurate price as he usually coats firearms...

3. Black shows more dirt than it has any right too.

4. Gold then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Everything has been removed from the side cases and....I've gotta say it...I reckon black us the way to go...
    1520713918481583752991.jpg
    Currently those side cases are the only gold bits on the bike...I think black would give it a cleaner finish...

6. Well. What a turnaround....1 day...! Lovely finish too...
    20180312_202450.jpg 20180312_202440.jpg 20180312_202428.jpg 20180312_202420.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. That was quick !!! :upyeah: is your coatings man in Brizzle then?

8. About 40 mins away down past cheddar ( on the way to Brean)

Tech Coat coatings. Nice lad. He did say he quoted me a bit cheap as the paint in the generator side just fell of but the clutch side took 2 hours to strip.

9. My mate has some sort of hunting rifle he wants done ( that's what he/they specialize in ). He'll definately be getting more work from me...

10. I'll keep him in mind, looks a good job, and good turn around.

Rich alright is he? haven't popped in for a bit.

11. Might not be talking about the same person. His name is Dave Rowe.

12. Looks really nice, what did it cost?

13. 50 quid per side.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry, meant Rich @ louigi where you got your bearings pressed out

15. Ah - funny you should say that but i was going to take it to Rich but, he's a fair way away from me (well....its catching him when he's there too) so i took pot luck on saturday and took them down fowlers, and, they did it for free! (yes i was astounded) but one of my mates is one of the long standing mechanics there (his name is on various plaques and boards round the workshop) so he took them out....just waiting for the seals now from Riders (hopefully tomorrow) then ill drop the lot down to fowlers again (moreso for the bearing to be put in as its gotta be pressed in and ive not got one but now im looking around)!

16. those look very nice Comfy, pics when you get them back on again pls!

17. They're in my bag behind me now (at work) just waiting for riders to text me when the parts are in...assuming they do today ill be dropping the lot of at Fowlers tonight for my mate to press all the relevant seals and bearings back in - if it all comes together ill be in the garage tomorrow afternoon reassembling....

18. Yeah my gold covers are a bit tarnished - they mark quite easily! Those look really nice!!
    Sadly I don’t have any friendly bike mechanics who could press out and in for free! ☹️

19. I think even if you had to pay theres really only the bearing in the generator side that needs the press....so that wouldnt cost much - i could probably all of it but with stuff like that im bound to be clumsy and scratch the new coating but....apparently its pretty scratch resistant but id rather not test that...

20. Looks great and handy to know about that coating place near cheddar.

My winter job list on my multistrada is to remove the front cylinder head rocker cover and get a cerakote finish as mine has suffered from road rash in general use. I'll give these guys a call and see if we can get a close ish match for the existing gold/magnesium colour

I've got a few other parts I also want powder coating black including the engine guard, but might be better to have the engine guard done with a black cerakote as well for durability over powder coat

Do Not Sell My Personal Information