1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abs On Or Off?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by comesunt, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Assumptions
    Some bloke got paid a fortune to design ABS
    I believe that most racers disconnect the ABS [?]
    Road riders and Novice trackday riders may wanna keep then on [?]

I run round mid Inters
    I've just bought an ex race 959 that had has then removed / disconnected
    Do I reconnect them of leave off?

I'm a big fan of technology and need all the help I can get on the track; so tempted to reconnect.
    Never used ABS before

Thoughts [?]

Cheers,

Bob

2. Off for me! Same - mid inters.

Have done 100's of laps of Cadwell over the years; 1st outing on 899 down the hill into Mansfield ABS came on and made me miss the turn in and run wide. So if that's why racers turn it off I understand.

3. I'd just leave it off if its already off as I think it's not completely straightforward to change it. That said the systems are so good now that there's not much reason to take them off unless you are a ninja since they dont seem to ever get in the way when set to 'race' but it saves a bunch of weight and makes the bike more deterministic.

I'm not sure mine has ever even came on? I've certainly never slid the front and managed to save it due to operation of the ABS, good tyres seem to grip forever on corner entry and I'm yet to find that limit. Its the exit where I take too many brave pills and learn hard lessons. I definitely would not want it coming on under hard braking, the back end is easy enough to control if it goes in the air so overall I can't really see much point in ABS. It's not like you ever see anyone losing the front when the bike is still upright on track.

Whether you would benefit from putting it on I couldn't say? perhaps if you are worried about braking 100% and want to play with a safety net for peace of mind?

#4 Monners, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Off definitely!! The brakes will work better without the abs cutting in.

5. Seem to remember when Tim Thompson was running the 1299 as a long termer in MCN he went to Italy to one of the race schools run by a former/current WSB rider. He was taught to use the cornering ABS as a performance aid knocking around a second off his lap time. On a side note can you switch off the ABS on the 1299 as at Brands in a couple of weeks and on the road it's not an issue but have never ridden it on the track before.

6. Really? I've never owned a bike with ABS but I'll be getting a V4 soon for track tomfoolery. I was rather looking forward to taking the absolute piss with brake inputs/lean angles to be saved by electronics. Maybe not. Maybe a trip to the kitty litter instead!
    I view electronics as a safety net. So I can belly laugh in the face of danger knowing for absolute sure I'll be 'saved' I look at electronics like flicking the v's at an armed robber whilst sitting in a bullet proof car..... and just laughing like fuck while he empties his mag at me.... No? Am I wasting my money? Drat!! And double drat!! Mutley! Do something!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes when you get better you will be able to out brake the abs system. Obviously as technology moves on these systems get better and better so eventually you won't need to touch um, same as race cars never run abs.

8. Off for me. Had some nasty moments with a 1000RR on track with the bike running on into corners. Possibly in slick or race mode it would not have been a problem, but as it was a hire bike they wouldn't alter the settings.

9. Aparty from EBC (lowest setting) and stiffening up the suspension, I pretty much leave all the other stuff alone. I also leave it in Road mode as Race mode is bonkers on the road. I quite like the ABS, helps stop the fecker standing up when I meet that inevitable line of gravel mid corner and manoeuver to avoid it. Im not good enough without all the gadgets.

10. Oooh, don't like the sound of that. I brake pretty hard to be honest. The only time I've continually run on in a bit to corners was in Brno. It was so hot that the front end grip felt 'greasy' hard on the brakes. It felt weird because the tyre was progressively letting go.... It was 35deg ambient and 59deg track temp... fekkin hot!

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. The use of ABS in competition seems to be generally prohibited. Certainly in WSB it is and a few of the support series according to the regulations I’ve been able to track down on the internet. Can’t find BSB regs but I’m sure that they will be similar. Strangely the Tri Options Cup regs makes no mention of ABS at all. As for the Panigale V4 electronics pack, if it is remotely similar the the Panigale 1299 Superlegerra as it is rumoured to be, it’ll be the one thing other than your talent, that stops you engaging with the scenery and gravel traps. I certainly won’t be switching mine off any time soon. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. You will probably find that the electronic pixies are better trained now especially with cornering abs. I was impressed with the rest of the bmw electronics but not that

• Like Like x 1
  13. There was me thinking abs was designed to allow change of direction at max brake power to avoid obstacles, rather than shorten the distance for braking into a corner :thinkingface::no_mouth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Panigale (and most other bikes) race mode switches off the rear wheel ABS

15. You and me both.

16. Seems to be a 50 / 50 Split...
    Bike has them off at the moment.
    Going to Cartagena next month for three days.
    I think I pop them back on for day two and see how I get on.

Many thanks, Bob

17. All the Tri options bikes bypass it completely.

18. 'Designed' you say. But things evolve from the design stage. So..... ABS, on or off?

19. off ;) HTH :)

Cornering ABS I can see may possibly be useful, but in dry conditions with sticky tyres and most people using it braking in a straight line, how many can say they lock the front? Worth noting the rear will probably come up before the front locks.... maybe if you visit the gravel a lot it may be useful :p

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information