1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Accident While Loading Into My Van

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Babar, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Hi, new to this forum. I had a small accident while loading my bike into my van and chipped the paint from on the corner of the front faring. And I've read that Ducati don't use lacquer. How would I go about painting it? Any help would be grateful

IMG_20210107_005201.jpg

IMG_20210107_005155.jpg

2. It will be lacquered. I've had pretty good success on small scatches using a touch up kit that comes with red and clear laquer
    mask area around the scratch
    - with fine wet and dry rub it down so you can't fell the edges of the paint scratch (9use it dry)
    - paint with red - lots of thin layers
    - wet and dry the red pain down with the wet and dry wet - lots of water
    - you may have to repeat the last two steps a couple of times till no ridges/pain brush marks
    - apply laquer - 2 or 3 costs
    - wet and dry down again wet

- before painting in all steps above wipe down with thinners to make sure clean.

I've done it a few times now. It'll never be perfect but I'm not very good at it but can get it to a point where most people won't notice unless told. It takes me a few hours 2-4 but with some good tunes on and nothing else to do it can be quite therapeutic and rewarding

• Like Like x 1
  3. Many have done it, don’t beat yourself too much, pretty much as above :upyeah:

4. It will not be lacquered PeteKeys. Its a single coat paint system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thanks for all your help. I will give it a go.

6. As above. 899 paint isn’t lacquered

7. I stand corrected - is that panels and tank? I've repaired scratches on both on my 1299. The red on its own looked flat until I finished off with lacquer. When I bought the touch up paint it came with clear coat so I used it.

8. Well, thanks to the bean counters the 1299 IS lacquered, but the 899 red one isn't :bucktooth:. Still brilliant bikes though :upyeah:. The decals give it away when you run your hand over them on the 899 versus the 1299/1199 and it's why I had a white 899 as the paint system is slightly different.

RBW.

#9 rainbow-walker, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  9. Welcome to the forum :upyeah: a biker friendly professional painter probably would charge around the £100 mark if your lucky.

10. Yeah, no idea why the 899 wasn’t lacquered but the 1299 was... same as above though, should be able to fill and spray it with lots of thin coats

11. Great thanks for your help lads.
    Also I was looking at getting the clear clutch cover. Is it worth doing as you have to change the whole. Case

Do Not Sell My Personal Information