1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acf50 Whats The Best Way To Use?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Nov 15, 2020.

1. I'm an ACF50 Virgin. I recently bought a litre bottle which came with a smaller spray bottle.
    I find that the liquid seems to be too viscous to spray ( not sure if that's temperature related )

How do you find the best way to use it? I have been using a rag to apply to all my fasteners and metalic surfaces. Is it a good idea to apply it to painted surfaces as well? I have a new Triumph Speed Twin with a black painted engine, black painted wheels, black forks etc.

2. I drown everything shiny- except brakes- in the stuff on bikes that winter out in the wooden bike chalet (shed). All tools hanging on the walls get a similar treatment. My Monster relaxes during the winter in the lounge so its not an issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I have All Year Biker do mine. But you should clean/degrease the bike, warm the ACF50 before application (to thin it) and apply it to everything bar brakes and tyres. Works fine on painted surfaces (including Matte finish). Then wipe off any excess with a clean cloth.

Once applied don’t use harsh cleaners (I believe Muc Off are particularly bad for ACF50).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I wonder if it's worth me trying to Warm the ACF50 before use so as I can use the spray applicator. There are certain bits which are hard to reach such as the rear shocks. and a spray application would ensure I can get it where I need it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I use a sprayer connected to a compressor to create a fine mist (I warm up the the AFC50 in the bowl first). After a good clean and making sure the bike is dry, I mask up the wheels (brakes and tyres) with plastic bags and then spray on a thin later everywhere and wipe of the surplus with a clean rag. Good ventilation and maybe a mask would probably be a good idea, but AFC50 does have a pleasant smell. I use AFC50 on a rag to wipe fasteners and cotton buds to get into the nooks and crannies including inside hex/torx sockets :) I don't apply all over the paint work (I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax on paintwork) but a bit of overspray doesn't hurt, just wipe it off. When you first fire the bike up it gets a bit smoky as the AFC50 burns off the exhaust.

View attachment 224835

upload_2020-11-15_15-38-57.png

#5 steveb123, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Stick the aerosol in a bucket of warm water?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. As above - warm water. I use household plant sprayers which produce a fine mist and work a treat but always seem to have more on the floor than the bike... :joy: IMG_2577.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. As said, use it in as fine a mist as you can. It actually won't work as well if it goes on too thickly. Best to use some kind of atomiser if you can.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. +1 for placing the filled sprayer in a bucket of warm / hottish water for 5 mins or so immediately before using....

10. Mine came in an aerosol which is a bit useless. It just dribbles out the tube so I dribble it onto a rag or brush. Maybe I'll try heating it with a heat gun.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. I don't use that product but put the can in a pyrex jug and pour in boiling water to thin it down. Works just fine for me.

12. Warming any pressurised aerosol can with heat gun is not a good idea. The data sheet for AFC-50 specifically warns of an explosion risk if the can is heated above 49°C

upload_2020-11-16_9-31-15.png

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I'll make sure I keep it below 48C then.

• Funny Funny x 1

14. I think that's a nicely put video about it and yes- he does put it in the hot water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I’d load it in to a compressor and go nuts with it

16. I'm not too convinced about manicure level cleaning prep prior to the ACF spray.

Obviously spraying over thick dirt is a waste of time, but the chances are no one using ACF has a bike in that state.

Besides if it gets under corrosion, presumably it can get under a bit of oil or dust!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information