1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Adjusting The Gear Lever

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by timberwolf, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Fitted some Vario pegs last week to help with legroom and am quite pleased with them. No hamstring cramps since!
    The issue I now have is the gear selector is too high. Changing up is ok but to change down I am having to lift my foot of the peg which is not good. I had a quick look at it but was not as simple as I had imagined. Can anyone enlighten me please? I am assuming the connector bar needs adjusting via the two nuts?

Thanks, Phil

2. Its a pain. You may even also not have enough travel or thread on the rose joint. I didnt on my 1198. But I found in my box of bits a piece I could use as an extention. You may have to get an extended bar to make life easy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Boots, Am I adjusting the two nuts then? Basically moving the threaded bar back slightly? Is that all I have to loosen?

4. Yes, You loosed the 10mm nut which locks the roses to the bar. Then use the hex on the bar to extend it. Turning the bar means the roses move out a bit. Once you get it to where you need it to be, then you tighten up the 10mm nut to the bar. But, depending on your sets, you may run out of thread on the rose and thats where my fortunate find of an extender in my bits box came in handy. Alternatively find a bar that is a wee bit longer. TBH, your rearsets should come with one if its needed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks boots! I will have a go. I purchased the Vario adjustable pegs. They do not come with any extenders etc. If need be I will look out for one a little longer.

6. If you run out of thread then just remove the lever on the engine end of the adjustment bar and refit it one spline anticlockwise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks Bob, I will probably have to adjust both ends by the sound of it.

8. IIRC you can't just adjust one end - if you slack off both 10mm nuts, turning the rod one way moves the rose joints apart (i.e. lengthens the rod) and turning it the other way shortens it. If you run out of adjustment (i.e. when one of the rose joints comes off the rod!) you'll either need a longer rod, or (probably easier) rotate the bit on th engine end as suggested by @Bob T

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The bit on the engine end should be as close to 90 deg with the shift rod as you can get it for a positive gear change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. One of the nuts has a left hand thread.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information