1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ads Encroaching Forum Pages From Both Sides

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Snips, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hi Admin,

I'm using latest version of Safari, and last couple of days I keep getting Ads sliding in from left and right (simultaneously) over top of content, and obscuring thread headings and other content, making the site unusable. To workaround this, I have to reload page, and hope I don't get same problem.

Don't know if this is a known problem, but just letting you know.

Cheers,
    Snips

2. The adverts provide an income to support the running and server costs of the forum but becoming a subscriber, starting at £5, does away with the adverts. £10 gets you a Halfords discount card. Andy

3. Worth the higher subscription fee for the Halfords trade card. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Now if you got a free box of Wotsits with your subscription I’d subscribe twice:p

5. £5 for supporting a site that you enjoy? ...and removing the other revenue stream the site uses for those who don't stick a fiver in the pot.

ps: yes this is peer pressure.

6. Subscribe £5 a year or pay £15 for a Halfords card too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. So the site is unusable unless you pay money.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 06.50.41.png

8. It's entirely useable. Just you get ads.

I'm sure you'd agree that something has to pay for the upkeep of the site, just as you pay for all your other services (broadband, phone, food, drink gas, water, electric, car bike, petrol, diesel etc etc).

Or do you have another solution? I'd be interested to hear about it if you do :)

#9 El Toro, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. I have just paid the subscription.
    I agree ads have to pay for the site and a lot of sites manage it and without blocking off part of the screen as per the screen shot I posted. I have no doubt this forum recruits more and more members every year but do you not think people will be reluctant to join if the first impression of the site is a advert that blocks off some of the page? I suppose time will tell on that but potential new forum members have to enjoy the site before they will part with £5 or £15.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I think he’s referring to the non-reactive nature of the site when uncloseable ads obscure the main functionality. Maybe you’ve got the layout set to an adaptive style and therefore his screen size makes it a problem. A reactive layout would solve this.

Whilst I agree with subscribing, having the ads obscure the site as above, means you should simply just charge for entry.

11. I didn't have this issue. There were ads but they did not interfere with functionality in any manner.

12. It is a scaling issue the OP needs to adjust his/her settings

13. Or the site layout setup to one that reacts to scale.

14. Missing the point by saying ‘upgrade then’

Clearly if the ads make the product difficult to use , less new people will use it and those who don’t feel the need to subscribe will not drop by.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. FMI Who owns this site?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information