1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Rider Course

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yellowducmaniac, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Just bought a IAM advanced rider course which includes the advanced test, has anyone else on here done it?...if so what should i realistically expect and how much more difficult than the standard test is it? , it includes 6 - 8 session rides being followed by an observer and advised on what your doing right or wrong and giving useful advice etc, then he recommends when or if he thinks your ready for the test.
    I passed my bike test in 1982 so i imagine things have moved on a bit, and i wanted to challenge myself, improve my skills and hopefully have a bit of fun too.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  2. I passed my advanced Feb 2020. I thought it was an excellent course and worth every penny. I've been riding on and off for 40 yrs and still managed to learn a lot. I actually enjoy my riding better now I know how to do it right :joy::innocent:

• Like Like x 2
  3. yes its a social circle I continue for now some six years?

I brought my eldest bro whos only finally got into biking few years ago, he's such a got things to do sort of person. His tutor has sort of given up..tad sad because its extremely useful training & social circles aspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I was about to tag him too :grinning:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I’ve enrolled too ,but as yet haven’t managed to get out due to work commitments. Looking forward to learning a lot and challenging myself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. As has been noted, I am an IMI accredited IAM RS volunteer Observer and mentor riders in the ARC for TVAM. What the hope is, you will see the advantages of being a thinking rider and use the ‘system’ to plan an action before a situation arises instead of having an ‘oh shit’ re-action. I cannot speak for other IAM RS affiliated clubs and mentors but IMO, the ‘system’ is a fluid series of observations and questions, not a rigid mantra. What works for 30mph is woefully inadequate for 70mph. I hope you enjoy your journey and that your Observer understands what your learning style is. Sadly, there is book work to do to satisfy your examiner but my advice is to try and put the system into a real life context, how do you use the system for example, to plan an overtake. Please feel free to PM me any time if you have questions, I’ll do my best to give you an answer that makes sense. Andy

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. PS, I should have said, IAM RS lurv their acronyms :joy: Andy

8. @HyperMac, same goes for you, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I’ll do my best without treading on your Observer’s toes. Andy

9. IMO, the Observer should be aware of your Bro’s circumstances and work with him to provide the rides when he’s available. There is no set number of rides or timescale to achieve a test pass, just an expectation. I know associates who have taken over a year to get to test ready because of life pressures. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks for that Andy, i may indeed pm you if any questions arise throughout the sessions ,or if i'm unsure of something...top man.:upyeah:
    Phil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thoroughly recommend the IAM course. Passed my test late 60s and needed to renew my “skills” (if any). Teaches good observation which assists lots. Try and do every ride like a test ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Passed in 2019, well worth doing no matter how long you've been riding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I am doing it at the moment, the observers watch and tell you what you need to know and do.
    They are nor critical or judgemental, depending on your base skill level and willingness to take the advise, study and practice. will determine how long you will need to be test ready.
    You will learn new riding skills and surprisingly how to ride more progressively. And yes it is hard work also a lot of fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. One of my mates is a instructor, blood biker, ex police. I go out with him most weeks to learn the system, anything to improve your safety can only be good, i personally cannot be dealing with the social clique of some (not all)of these groups, so going out with a mate works for me, he keeps banging on i should do the whole test thing but i am happy as i am. I have learnt a lot and would encourage anyone to at least give it a go, after all it's not witchcraft just common sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I did this quite a few years ago with Cambridge Advanced Motorcyclists - can't recommend it highly enough. If you think IAM members creep around on big BMWs (the ones with panniers for the pipe and slippers) you're probably in for a surprise! I've never seen anyone make riding so fast (within the law, obviously...) look so easy. My Observer rode a Blackbird BTW. I had a Honda Firestorm at the time, and his most common criticism was why did I ride it so ******* slowly???

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I passed the IAM test last week, enjoyed the process and it has definitely changed some aspects of my riding and how I think about the road.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Another thumbs up from me for the IAM. I have done it twice (once to complete the course and a second time to get a First). It was valuable and rewarding, and the social side’s surprisingly good.

However, professional training exists that’s even better (e.g. Survival Skills) :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

#18 Freerange_egg, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Go do the IAM Masters course and come back and tell us that ;)

19. @Mac I have done Masters (distinction) in the car, and I’ll still say there exists professional tuition that far exceeds anything from the IAM.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend an IAM Masters course to a new or intermediate rider. But I would recommend Survival Skills to riders at any level.

The IAM gets a thumbs up from me, and it’s incredible value for money. But the best professional riding coaches are just that – professionals. The likes of Survival Skills and Rapid Training have spent their entire working lives riding bikes all day and refining their coaching skills alongside their riding. The flipside is that it’s more expensive than the IAM because you’re paying for more expert coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information