1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed On Replacing Alternator Cover

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Richard Janes, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Hi All.. Looking for some advice please, normally I don't worry too much about this sort of thing, but it's the first time I've had any of the engine opened since I've had the bike in 5 Years..

Due to a bit of a mishap removing the left hand/alternator case on my carb 750ss, I've had to source a new one.. one of the pickups had failed, so I've replaced those.. I've bought the relevant sealant from Ducati but not sure how liberal I need to be with it's application - Is it just a thin bead or do you smear the stuff on the mounting face? Also do you use the sealant on the washer that goes under the brass nut (picture 1 below).. I want to get this right the first time without having leaks and have to take it all off again... Any advise gratefully appreciated

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

#1 Richard Janes, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Did mine on my 998 last year and as in your 1st photo, I did exactly the same. A thin as possible bead all the way round a circling the mount holes.
    I didn’t 3 bond the washers and no leaks.
    Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Ian, appreciate the response.. I had to do a similar job on my Cagiva W16 recently and wasn't nearly as fussy, think I reused the old gasket and thats been fine..

4. IIRC you'll need to be careful to get the gasket to be the same thickness as the old one to maintain the correct endfloat on the crankshaft.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. same as Ian but if alternator gland assy a bit worse for wear I will add Threebond here also. You probably know this bit but I often find the knurled plastic sleeve nut in your picture has been overtightened and it's easy to see this because mating faces are no longer parallel. As long as it hasn't been overtightened to the point of permanent damage then should seal fine with no need for sealant/carefully nipped up by hand.

6. Thanks for the input, Steve, Chris - Chris, I don't think the cover has been off before, but there were some fairly big blobs of sealant on the inside of the casing where the magneto cables come through.. makes me think they squirted some through at the factory, just to be sure...

7. Could well be first time off - maybe more likely if low mileage.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information