1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Davem13, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Afternoon all,

Not been on here for a while, I went over to the big H for the last 4 years , bought a new fireblade in 2013 to replace my 749, and it has been a great bike.
    However I am beginning to think it is a little too much for the road, speeds are getting a little high so been thinking about changing, and keep coming back to the 939 Hyper.
    I know I am posting this on a 939 board, but was wondering if anyone has recently made the same sort of switch and how it went. Basically looking for honest answers re performance, cornering, fun factor, even tank range comments will help.
    Been looking around and found a 66 plate srd 939 at Ducati Leeds for 9K, would love an SP but don't think the funds can stretch to that, bought my 749 from them and had no issues.

Cheers
    Dave

2. Hmmm - personal opinion says if youre going too fast on a litre bike then you 'aint gonna go much slower on a hyper (if anything it may be worse as you can throw them around city roads moreso)....id say go full on supermoto (ive got a ktm 525 supermoto) - all the fun is between 30 and 70...last tussle was with an s1000rr on a ten mile stretch of A roads and dual carriage ways which made for entertaining elasticated racing on an early sunday morning compounded by the fact that the lights on most of the roundabouts went against him...ie he'd leave me in a heartbeat on the straights but as soon as a roundabout came id be reeling him back in...great fun....even the disgusted look i got when i gave him a smile on the last roundabout i turned off on (and my bike stalled also adding to the comedy).

Back on topic the 939's are as reliable and have service intervals akin to most jap bikes now....

3. I have done exactly what you are contemplating

I had a S1000XR with tuning producing 165BHP at the wheel. It was a fantastic bike but in reality it was too fast to enjoy or get the best fro. it wasnt performing at its best until it was over 9K revs which in second gear was over a ton. Bloody brilliant if you are prepared to go to jail or worse.

Step in the Hyper 939 SP
    More fun for me and at more realistic speeds. The corner speed it inspires and the lower grunt which fires it out of bends actually make it a quicker bike cross country B roads ( my preference these days) than the XR.

Also when i used to put the XR away on an evening it used to laugh at me and say " was that it ya poof"

I can get more from the Hyper and feel like i have performed as a riding God

Shit on motorways but in every other respect less scary better to wheelie and ride hard.

Wont live with a 1000 cc sports bike on big fast roads but beats them hands down on small and twisties

Tank range Light comes on at about 100 miles give or take and i usually push it past 120 to fill and still only manage to squeeze 11 or 12 litres in so at least 4 litres left.

I was worried about touring omg it but i do regular 250 mile plus days on it with no problems at all and that is avoiding M ways at all costs. Did 800 miles in 3 days in Scotland and it was as comfy as !

Oh and there is a 939 SP for sale on here !!

#3 Redrick, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Trust me ..........getting a Hypermotard will NOT slow you down, it turns you into a hooligan :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information