1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Advice Needed

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Justatad, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Hello all , I’m wanting to finally bite the bullet & purchase a slice of Ducati exotica, I currently own a low mile immaculate Honda Sp1, and a Multistrada dvt, I’m really not up on the sps, although I have been doing a bit of research
    The company selling this sps look to be reputable enough, but I’ll Be wanting to ask the right questions before I hand over any cash, could you far more knowledgeable folk out there assist me in what questions I should be asking
    Thanks
    Steve
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202599703808

2. Plenty of information on the Sheffield Shop about. o_O

They are reputable, but extremely expensive and many believe the reason behind the price hike is 2nd hand Ducatis. Others have seen what they ask for bikes and try their hand with crazy asking prices of there own.

No doubt they get good bikes in for sale, but you'll defo pay a premium.

Anyway. Condition and history is all important, I wouldn't expect a stamp in the book every year as it's probably been stored most of it's life.. At 2,100 miles it should be a nice one. He's going to do the belts, so no worry there. You could question the internal seals if it's been stood, but I haven't heard any horror stories, you may have to take a chance. It looks like the foam around the clocks has been chewed by mice. :eyes: SPS is really just the same as any other 916 series bike as regards issues. Forks are Showa, so no dreaded Ohlins leaking seals. :thinkingface:

Good luck whatever you decide.

#2 Robarano, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The advert's wording says miles but the clocks are in Km's!?,looking at the photograph on the front disc rotor,i would have said it has covered more mileage than the advertisement's total amount listed.In my opinion of course.

4. That's WAY to expensive for an early sps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Imports are impossible to prove history and mileage generally, which is why UK bikes are considered more valuable - this is above high end price for an import.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Would not be paying that for one! waaaaaay overpriced
    If you have that kind of money to spend on a bike, there's far better UK bikes out there for less money.
    looks like a mouse has been eating the clock surround foam :eyes:

#6 zxrjohn14, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Couldn't agree anymore with you sir on this,that's why all my motorbikes are uk spec:upyeah:

8. 17K?

Not the same market, but was alerted to an auction on this side of the pond.

To give an idea of just how cheap the top-tier desmoquattro bikes are getting here, the following is a sample of sold items converted to sterling (prices per bike):

2 x 1997 916 SPS.......<£8850
    2 x 1999 996 SPS...... <£4850
    4 x 2000 996 SPS......3 @ £5K, highest 7K
    2 x 2001 996R...... <£10548

Prefer a testa? 1x 2005 999R........ £8438

This was in Houston, TX last Thurs, Apr 4.
    Mecum auctions.

I realise not everyone is in a position to import, but if you can there are some great bikes here selling for sweet fanny adams.

#8 TNR, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. What the hell has happened to the foam clock surround?!...one previous owner, Tasmanian Devil.

10. Rear brake line does not look secure, check it if you do a test ride

Do Not Sell My Personal Information