1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Gearing/ Advice On Make Of Chain & Sprockets And Supplier Of These

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by bluemoon15, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Hi people,

I’d be grateful for two bits of advice on chain and sprockets for my standard 1996 900ss carbie.

(First) on the existing gearing (15/37) first is too tall and sixth is unnecessarily tall. What choices do I have to improve this? What do people recommend? I ride purely on the road, often on tight bumpy backroads but sometimes on motorway runs.

(Second) I’d like to get a high quality replacement chain and sprockets. What make do people recommend for these parts? And who would be a good supplier for these parts?

I realise that the gearing topic has been touched on before, but I couldn’t see much discussion of the issues I’ve raised.

Thanks.

2. I run a 15 front and a 39 rear, helps with acceleration. Previous to this I had a 14 front and a standard rear, which is the equivalent to 3 up on the rear with a 15 front. Both setups good, a bit better round town and better acceleration, however my bike revs quite quick due to mods, hence the reason I changed to a slightly taller gearing. I would recommend rental rear as they are alloy, or afam. I have a DID ER gold chain on at the moment and it's a fast road/race chain. I use DID mostly. I buy off eBay from a reputable seller, any of the big companies depending on price

• Like Like x 1
  3. Desmoquattro, that's really helpful - thank you. Embarrassingly I forgot to say that I'm looking for steel sprockets, not alloy. Can anyone recommend a make and supplier for those? Thanks!

4. Afam are steel. You'll not get an alloy front on a rear. I actually have some rears if you tell me what you want I can see if I have that size, I've got 2 or 3. New unused

• Like Like x 1
  5. if you ring B&C Express who are the uk renthal distributor they should be able to supply steel sprockets.

You might also want to look at Regina chains and sprickets as well as all those mentioned by Desmoquattro. You might see JT sprockets, they're the japanese OEM supplier of choice, so you can't go wrong with them.

I used to run a regina 520 on my SS with the same 15/39 gearing as Desmoquattro.

The bigger rear helps combat driveline lash when you're trying to ride slowly through busy traffic in town.

I can really recommend BikeTorque Racing as well, very very nice people to deal with. :)

6. Bike Torque +1. They supplied my OZ wheels

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi Desmoquattro,
    I'm looking for a 39, thanks.

8. I'll have a look

9. Hi Desmoquattro,
    Before you spend time looking for that sprocket (I hope you haven't already, in which case I apologise) it looks like it may be simpler to buy a full sprocket and chain set from a supplier than parts of it only, so I think I'll do that, if you don't mind. Thanks again for your considerable help - much appreciated.

10. Drop one tooth off the front.

11. No problem

12. Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all your help and advice. I've got it sorted out now. In the end I settled for a DID Gold X-ring chain with 15 x 39 (steel) AFAM sprockets from Bike Torque Racing. And I learned a bit about gearing, sprockets, manufacturers and suppliers. So thanks again to one and all!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information