1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please - Bandit 650 To Supersport - What A Contrast!

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Mellie, May 4, 2019.

1. Hello again from the West Mids Newbie.

Well, I've done it. Part ex'd the 650 for a 2017 SS. Apart from an embarrassing stall and a pedestrian exit from the showroom carpark on collection, I made it home. The traffic and weather were awful and I was more cautious than a very cautious thing on a cautious day, but I made it home without the requirement for a change of underwear!

My question relates the the very different performance and handling characteristics of the SS, compared to a buzzy Suzuki. What are your top tips, never-do's, must-do's etc that will help be get to grips with the new love of my life? (Oh, brand new back tyre too.....)

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clutch is a bu&&er; I still find it too easy to stall, esp when cold.
    Mirrors are u/s at speed-get used to shoulderchecks.
    enjoy it. I do.

3. Thread moved

4. Hmm.. Mirror's, turn the rear view to mist

#4 Mellie, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. Oops. Naughty me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes. Naughty you.

7. Mellie,Just break in your new lover gently or he'll be off down the road pronto;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. There's a lot of careful clutch-slipping going on at the moment.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Let's hope he has upgraded springs for summer use;)

10. Watch for false neutrals 5th to 6th, esp using the QS.
    Stick a radiator guard on ASAP.
    I keep catching the rear indicator, slipping it out of the mount. Easily put back, but a pain.
    OEM heated grips are *just warm*.(not like the Multistrada ones)

PS I like my SS, despite all the “advice” i’ve whinged above

11. Good to see you planning ahead for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Spontaneity is the name of the game:):upyeah:

13. I was unsure after always having sports bikes but I have to say I enjoy riding the Supersport S much more on our shite roads than I have done for ages on my sports bikes.
    In fact I feel like I can ride quicker and smoother on this in comfort rather than being thrown out of my seat all the time.
    The clutch is like a switch and when pulling away you have to be careful.
    Rear seat with cowl is a twat to refit. The comfort seat without cowl clicks in no bother, strange.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks. I have struggled reattaching the seat, so that explains it.
    The Bandit was so forgiving it made me lazy....!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Finding neutral bugs me. Mine’s only got a couple of thousand miles on, but I can’t get neutral when cold no matter what. A little better when thoroughly warm, but still not certain.

16. I know what you mean. Finding N from 1st or 2nd is very subtle isn't it? So far my best success has been thiking of it as a suggestion of a gear change, rather than and actual gear change, which seems to do the trick.

17. I'm 640 miles in & finding N from a standstill is getting easier as it warms. I normally drop into 1st whilst coming to a stop & click up into N while its still rolling a little; it goes straight in.
    I find the clutch is much smoother if its adjusted so the bite point is nearer the bar. Screw the adjuster in a turn & see if it helps.
    The throttle free play (slop) was too much for me, so if fitted the spacer kit from the US; its perfect now. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. A dealer will sort that in 2 mins - get it seen to.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Been in twice. Pronounced normal. Advised it may improve as miles increase.

20. That’s bollox. Which dealer?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information