1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ibgarrow, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bad news day. I’ve had chest pains for some years, and finally got in today for an angiogram. (They stick a line via your artery in your arm, inject a dye and video the bloodflow on X-ray)
    I thought they could fix it with a stent but the result shows I may need a multiple heart bypass.
    This’ll be a bigger op-linger recovery (no driving/riding for weeks) etc.
    Has any reader had a bypass? How bad is it compared to local anaesthetic stent insertion?
    Any info would be welcomed

2. No advice. But good luck with this mate. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I feel for you dude - hope you get well soon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. As post #2 says,and remember the doctors perform this sort of operation daily.you are in very good hands:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. What she ^^^^ said. And gws :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. As above, I'm sure you'll be looked after well but I wish you the best nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  7. No experience myself but I would have thought that if they recommend a bypass rather than a stent, then I think that would be my preferred option.
    Hope you get whatever choice treatment soon and you make a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I think people panic when the words ‘multiple heart bypass’ are mentioned, but this is a commonplace operation these days and the heart surgeons see as routine . I wouldn’t worry too much but go with what the ‘experts’ say is recommended. Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi buddy
    Sorry to hear your bad news. Not me personally but......
    Five years ago my training partner & best pal from the T.A 15 years ago Bob was struggling while cycling & jogging. He was recently single and I started nagging him as I felt he had a chest infection.
    After seeing his GP he was later diagnosed with severe heart disease and would need a triple valve replacement.
    Open heart surgery followed in St Thomas’s in London and after 3 days he was back home. I stayed with him for a further 3 days until he felt comfortable enough to cope through the day and his sister could pop in to check on him.
    As a builder by trade it was several weeks before he could return to any sort of work and probably 3 months before he was properly back to work.
    He takes an aspirin a day but no others meds and has returned to full fitness. The scar is bearly noticeably and he wears it like a badge of pride.
    Bob is a big blokes bloke and was properly pooing himself before the op and almost persuading himself he could do without the op, he had a check up a few weeks ago and asked the surgeon what his condition would be now without the surgery to which the surgeon replied “you’d be dead”.
    My sister in law has recently had a stent procedure through the groin which left her with a few stitches & only a couple of days off work & no driving for a week.
    Hope your treatment goes well buddy, these medical professionals are world class and you’ll be in safe hands. Bob has found his travel insurance has increased as a minor negative.
    Doug

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. From what my Father experienced, this is a major operation which will initially leave you feeling very depleted and possibly emotional/depressed but if it does, that is quite normal and doesn't last. Expect recovery to be anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months depending on what they do and how quickly you heal. Good luck, you'll feel so much better afterwards.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Thanks all, especially @Doug Howell
    Interesting to hear about the recovery process. My big concern is the major disruption to life! Family are all pointing out the benefits, which are obvious.
    I’ll have a big chat with the consultants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. I was 64 when I had a heart attack at work. Blocked artery diagnosed but a stent was deemed too risky due to position of blockage. So, a Quad bypass and a Mitral valve replacement and I was good to go. The vein was stripped from my left leg and used as replacement arteries. I think I was home in about a week or so. Take the meds as told, take exercise slowly at first, [don't stress the leg the vein is taken from] and keep a rolled up and taped towel to place against your chest when you cough or sneeze. Back on the bike 6 weeks later for a gentle bimble with number one son { Final_ Edition] riding shotgun. I had regular check ups for a while and then got signed off. Nearly 78 now and still riding.. :upyeah: { PS... You might have to tell 'er in doors where the emergency fund is stashed }

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have stent - took 5 -10 minutes max, via the groin.............saw it all on the screen. Driving again within a week.

Bugger all to worry about........I have bigger problems with COPD getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. My neighbour in her mid sixties just had a quadruple bypass and six weeks later is nearly back to normal. Her mum had it done in her sixties and lived into her nineties.

• Like Like x 2

16. Rather than bad news see it as good news that they can do something about it
    Think positive :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Ta muchly again for all the positive answers. I’m really quite full up with how many of you have taken the time to respond!
    All my family are of the same opinion as you seem to be, that getting it fixed in the best way is the thing to do. Just p*s me off that it’ll cut out a chunk of summer riding, and possibly my weekend away with Ducati UpNorth.
    And all the extra arrangements to cope with everyday life out in the sticks
    But thinking positively, i’m Glad that a) there’s a diagnosis b) it’s fixable.
    Reasons to be cheerful.

• Like Like x 2
  18. One missed summer to allow many more riding ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. As with some others I have no personal experience but know others who have had multiple bypass ops. All have made a full recovery and led a full & active life afterwards.
    All the best.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information