1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise On Da Polishing Ducati Red!!

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Dannym81, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hi I'm currently preparing to detail my RED 899.

Many people saying be very careful due to how thin the paint is on the Duc's - there are a few swirls around the tank and knee area that need sorting.

So I'm after a little advise for a beginner using a DA polisher.

I have 2 different compounds - decent stuff aswell with a fine finishing polish then wax.

I'll also claybar beforehand.

2. There's loads of detailing info on the web, not specifically Ducati red though.
    The general rule is to start with the least aggressive compound/pads. You will know you're getting somewhere when the swirls disappear, you shouldn't then need to go any further.
    Poorboys black hole show glaze is very good for finishing the job off before a wax/sealant.
    Take care with the claybar, they can make a bit of a mess in the wrong hands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Call me buddy & I'll talk you through it.....my number is on contact page www.detailingworks.co.uk

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hi Rob,

mice pretty much bought everything I need - I hope!! To make a start. I have three stage compounds from Koch Chem along with Bilt hamber speed wax to finish up. Clay bar along with panel wipe downs before waxing. I’ve not really used a buffer before and the comments on the Ducati Red paintwork being soft and not very thick has me a little worried.
    I’ve purchased a bottom belly panel and the paintwork on this second hand panel isn’t great in one area. So I’m gonna have a go on that first and if I balls it up I was gonna get that respirated anyway if it didn’t sort it.

many advise is greatly appreciated though. I have a smaller buffer with 3” pads so it’s quite suited I guess for motorcycles

• Like Like x 1
  5. Excuse me coming in on your thread but it has got me thinking......

I have just bought a new Monster 821 and it does not appear to have a lacquer coat over the decals on the tank. You can feel the pointy edges of the letters that catch the micro fiber cloth as you wipe it over.

Has someone forgotten to lacquer the tank or are they all like that ?

upload_2020-12-1_22-26-7.png

6. I’m not 100% for your model, but certain 899’s didn’t get Lacquer

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. All the red 'lower' end Panigales and Monsters don't get paint lacquer (don't know about Hypers and Multis) and it's a real issue for me and I refuse to buy one. The matt paint jobs sort of get lacquered as that's how they get the matt effect, which is why I went for the Corse.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks for your comments - see what happens, keep an eye on it.

I have been putting AUTO GLYM Super Resin Polish and finish it off with ARMOR ALL Speed Wax Spray-on-detailer to try and give it a coat of something protective.

If push comes to shove I might look at getting it lacquered at a paint shop.

9. Be wary, if it's a polish it's abrasive, the level of abrasiveness can vary from make to make.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've just bought a new Monster 821, its no lacquered either.

11. such a ridiculous thing to not be going STILL in 2020

madness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Completed the works over the xmas window and so impressed with the results I thought I'd let everyone know.

I pre-wash and washed the bike with Autoglym followed by Bilt Hamber clay bar then a 2 stage machine polish using Koch Chem which I've got to say is amazing!! Then Bilt Hamber speed wax and Autoglym showroom sealant. No more swirls or marks - looks mint!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. I've decided to mine lacquered, friend has a body shop locally, getting it done next week. Neighbour has a Paingale V4S with lacquered tank, much better imo.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information